Asked in Christianity

Is the front part of the church meeting room called the sanctuary?


Wiki User

No. The sanctuary is where the congregation gathers for worship service. The entry hall (front?) is called the "vestibule."

The area where the congregation sits is called the "nave."

The area where the sermon is delivered is called the "alter," or "pulpit," depending on the design of the church. Sometimes there is a pulpit structure on the alter, and sometimes the sermon is delivered from a lecturn.

Of course there are many different churches and many different designs. But this is what we called the areas in the church I grew up in.