Asked in Declaration of Independence
Meaning of declare?
March 08, 2011 11:05PM
v., -clared, -clar·ing, -clares.v.tr.
- To make known formally or officially. See synonyms at http://www.answers.com/topic/announce.
- To state emphatically or authoritatively; affirm.
- To reveal or make manifest; show.
- To make a full statement of (dutiable goods, for example).
- Games. To designate (a trump suit or no-trump) with the final bid of a hand in bridge.
- To make a declaration.
- To proclaim one's support, choice, opinion, or resolution.
- To state formally the intention to carry on armed hostilities against.
- To state one's intent to suppress or eradicate: declared war on drug dealing in the neighborhood.