On a turkey what is the name of the red thing that hangs down over the beak?

User Avatar
Wiki User
2010-12-04 18:14:30

The name of the red dangly thing is a Wattle ,

and believe it or not the redder and brighter and bigger the

wattle the more the female turkeys find their male to be a


Actually, the thing above the turkey's beak that extends and

contracts is called a snood.

A snood is defined as: A caruncle that hangs over the beak of a


Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.