Asked in Computer PrintersPhysics
Uses of lasers?
October 14, 2009 6:21PM
Lasers in the Medical Field: Lasers have perhaps found the most beneficial and useful applications in the field of medicine. These uses include:
- Laser Eye Surgery: Lasers are very useful in treating far sightedness and cataracts, among other eye surgeries. Because the laser beam is so minute and intense, it can burn through a very small amount of eye tissue. By focusing the laser on the point of tissue that is damaged, it can easily be corrected without damaging surrounding tissue that is in good condition. Without lasers, it would have been difficult to reach such hard to access areas and treat eye problems.
- Laser Ulcer Removal: Ulcers in the stomach can e very effectively removed with lasers. The laser beam used as a scalpel, is capable of making a tiny incision to reach the ulcer. Because of the burning action of lasers, the cut is also clotted and sealed immediately. The loss of blood is thus very minimal, and recuperation is also faster with laser ulcer surgery.
- Lasers to remove Port Wine Stains: Many people have an accumulation of red blood cells just under their skin, which results in red marks, called port wine stains. Laser surgery is very effective in removing these marks, without damaging the outer skin surface and the surrounding blood cells.
2) Lasers and Electronics: Many electronic devices use different types of lasers for their working. Some of these are:
- Compact Disk Players: Compact disks have music information stored on them, which is read inside the CD player, thus enabling you to hear music. But what is the thing that reads this information correctly. Yes, it is a laser. All CD players contain a tiny laser, the job of which is to read the digital codes of information and translate them into rocking music.
- Supermarket Scanners: When you are checking out your purchases in the supermarket, all these purchases are scanned by a device, for pricing and other information. These scanners contain a laser, which reads the information on the barcode of the product and enables the items to be checked and totaled by the computer.
3) Lasers and Entertainment: Lasers are increasingly being used as a means to entertain people. Read on to know how.
- Laser Shows: Different sizes, types, and colors of lasers are used in combination with each other, to create patterns, figures, pictures, and designs that make up many kinds of laser shows. This form of art is very beautiful and looks almost magical. Such laser shows are typically held in domes where the laser beam can be seen most effectively. Class 1 type of laser is typically used as these have no harmful effects on contact.
4) Other Uses of Lasers: In addition to the above, lasers are used for various other applications such as:
- Laser fiber optics used by computers and the internet for transferring information and data.
- Cutting, blasting, and welding with the help of intense laser beams. Laser is used for these purposes as the laser beam is very accurate and precise, as well as being sharp and intense.
- Use of lasers for measuring distances.
- Lasers used in Video CDs.