What are the advantages and disadvantages of learning a second language spanish?
Advantages of learning foreign languages:
To attempt to do something new, many times we need to understand the benefits as well as the advantages of doing it. When it comes to learning a foreign language how quickly we develop our learning skills can directly relate back to how we feel about the benefits we will receive. In this article we want to take a look at a few advantages of learning a foreign language and the benefits of doing it.
1. Depending where you are in your career you may be looking for business advantages in the foreign language that you are trying to learn. If your job requires you to travel overseas then there may be specific languages that you need to learn depending on where you travel.
For example, if you are traveling to Europe, you may need to know the French language. If your business travels take you to Mexico or south, learning Spanish may be important to you. There are many benefits that can be obtained from being able to speak a foreign language in the career that you have.
2. Only one out of 12 people in this world speak the English language, yet, over half of all Internet visitors speak English. For this reason there are many benefits of learning a foreign language if you wish to communicate online.
3. If you are into Internet e-commerce you may need to translate your website into multiple languages. If you do e-mail marketing, and you know that one out of two visitors speak English, you need to become fluid at writing grammatically correct email messages.
4. To realize the advantages of learning a foreign language, you may have to take language courses. This could involve immersing yourself in the language, and culture you are trying to learn. Language lessons are available online for any language that you are willing to learn.
5. If you like to travel there are many benefits to learning a foreign language. Being able to speak more than one language can come in handy when you are in an airport, ordering at a restaurant, asking for directions, or even ordering room service at a hotel in the country are visiting.
- Studying a foreign language develops your oral and written skills - even in your native language. These are among the first skills at which employers look.
- Increased activity in international business, government and tourism has created a need for improved understanding and communication.
- The number of careers that require a major in a foreign language is increasing. Insight into a particular culture and capacity to learn languages will interest employers in a variety of fields including education, social work, health services, business, banking, insurance, advertising, travel, publishing and public service.
- Starting salaries for students graduating with proficiency in one or more foreign languages are at least 20 percent higher than for students who speak English only.
- Training in foreign languages is essential for jobs with multinational companies, in the U.S. Foreign Service and numerous other governmental agencies.
- With a minor in TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language), you'll be prepared to teach English as a foreign language overseas.
Imagine yourself in a beautiful foreign country, where everything is new to you. You walk along the beautiful streets, and you dine at one of its restaurants. The only thing that is bothering you is that you just cannot understand what the locals are talking about. Baffling isn't it? Despite the wonderful sites of a place, when you do not understand the people around you, you can't help but feel a little lost. This is why you should start learning a foreign language, maybe just the basics. This may take some time and a lot of discipline; however, it can be very rewarding once you know what's going on around you.
Make Traveling More Enjoyable
The best thing about traveling is
being able to explore the amazing beauty of various countries and
to partake in their festivities. However, your experience will
never be complete until you know about the history of the place and
a little about their language. A lot of people who speak English
think that it is okay to use the language, wherever they may go.
Some believe that learning a foreign language has no use. This kind
of perception is one hundred percent false. When you know something
about the language of the country which you are visiting, you will
be greatly benefited with the following:
- You get to communicate with the local residents and make new acquaintances wherever you go.
- You will be able to read the signs on the road and the menus at restaurants.
- You will be able to understand the movies of the country which you are visiting.
Makes Your Work Easier
If your work requires you to talk with clients of diverse nationalities, then you have to learn foreign languages. This will make your work easier, plus, the big boss will see you as a worthy employee. If you know how to speak another language, you may be sent to other countries as a part of your work or you may even get a promotion. Learning another language is a plus when it comes to your work. Meeting with a foreign client does not require an interpreter anymore. And, your client will not feel awkward talking in your language because you can understand his.
Enhance Your Knowledge about Other Countries
If you are the type of person who is interested in learning about the culture of other countries, then it is important for you to learn their language also. Once you are familiar with a country's language, you will be able to understand its literature, its films, music or poetry. You will be able to gain more information about the country without difficulty. It is always nice to learn about the culture and the language of other places around the globe because you will never know when you might end up there.
The Best Ways to Learn a Foreign Language
There are a lot of ways to learn a foreign language and the following are just some of it:
- Self-teaching method - learn the language by yourself with the use of audio cassettes, CDs, videotapes or, vocabulary books. A lot of these are found in bookstores or in libraries.
- Visit foreign sites - currently, more and more sites over the Internet are offering lessons on foreign languages.
- Watch foreign movies or television series - there are a lot of foreign movies from which you can choose from. These movies have subtitles which will help you learn another language. The more you keep watching the movies of a certain country, the more you will learn about their native tongue.
- Take up foreign language classes - the best thing about taking up classes like these is that you will have a teacher to guide you through the course, plus, you will also be able to keep track of what you have learned.