Asked in World War 1BulimiaAnorexia Nervosa
What are the causes of starvation?
January 19, 2012 11:02PM
There are many different causes of anorexia and self-starvation, and no individual may have just a single cause. Often, anorexia is something that builds up or involves many pushing factors. Anorexia can be referred to often as a "diet gone too far", or something that maybe started out not so serious and developed into something much worse. Common causes and trigger include....
* Bullying/teasing (especially about weight and appearacnes)
* Obsessive dieting
* Yo-yo dieting
* Low self-esteem
* Low sense of self-worth
* OCD or "Perfectionism"
* BDD (Body Dismorphic Disorder)
* Family/friends influences
* Genetics (this is only a theory, more research is pending to support or deny this possibility)
* Social/media influences and pressures