Children and the Law
Age of Consent & Underage Relationships

What are the custodial rights of an underage mother in Kentucky?



User Avatar
Wiki User

Unmarried minor females are presumed by law to have the same rights to their unborn or born child as would an adult woman. The minor cannot be forced to place her child for adoption or sign over her parental rights and retains sole custodial rights to her child unless a court rules otherwise. If an underage mother is in need of assistance for herself and her child she should contact the state's department of children and family services. There are also many independent organizations that will offer assistance to any mother and child/children without regardless of age. Birthright, 1-800--550-4900,