What are the fiction genres?
The usual categories of fiction (called genres) include the following:
- Adventure - stories where there is an element of danger and risk. This category often overlaps the others, so that you have a fantasy novel with lots of adventure, or an adventure story with a mystery.
- Comic or Graphic Novel - a fairly new category which includes the art as well as the story writing
- Drama - the original term 'drama' meant stage drama, and was divided into comedy and tragedy - now we use the term to refer to any sort of fiction that ... well, that doesn't fit into any of the other categories on this page!
- Erotic or Pornography - stories about sex
- Espionage or Spy Thriller - stories about spies and international intrigue
- Fanfiction - stories about another author's characters, such as Harry Potter fanfiction or Star Trek fanfiction. This sort of fiction cannot be sold!
- Fantasy - stories that contain elements of what was once called 'fairy tales.' Fantasy stories deal with magic or supernatural abilities, magical or supernatural beings, or simply 'what if' situations such as alternate universes. Fantasy can be further divided into alternate universe, bangsian, celtic, comic, contemporary, dark, folktale, heroic, high, historical, juvenile, medieval, myth, prehistoric, romantic, steampunk, superhero, sword and sorcery, urban, and wuxia
- Gothic - originally, this was just another way of saying 'horror,' but now the term is used to mean a story that combines romance and horror
- Historical Fiction - stories set in the past and describing the events and characters' lives. This category often overlaps the others, so that you have historical fantasy or historical romance.
- Horror - stories dealing with things that frighten us. Horror can be further divided into body-related (disease, mutation, mutilation, etc), holocaust, ghost stories, natural disaster, psychological thriller, and supernatural
- Humor or Comedy - stories that make us laugh. Comedy can be further divided into burlesque, comedy of manners, farce, parody, satire, and sentimental
- Medical - stories about the field of medicine and the people who work in it
- Mystery - stories that contain a crime, puzzle, or confusing situation. Mystery can be further divided into cozy, detective (amateur, hardboiled, private investigator), medical, police procedural, supernatural, and whodunit
- Poetry - rhythmic writing that deals with emotion. Poems do not have to rhyme, but they must be concise and emotional. Poetry can be broadly divided into epic, dramatic, lyric, narrative, and satirical. Specific poetry forms include acrostic, canzone, carmina figurata, cinquain, concrete, elegy, fixed verse, free verse, ghazal, haiku, jintishi, minnesang, murabba, ode, pantoum, quatrain, rondeau, ruba'i, sestina, sijo, song, sonnet, stev, tanka, and villanelle
- Political - stories about the world of politics and the people who work in it
- Realistic Fiction is a genre that tells made-up stories about things that could really happen about people who could really be real.
- Romance - stories about love. Romance can be broadly divided into catogory (series) and stand-alone (single title). Romance subgenres include contemporary, erotic, historical, inspirational, multi-cultural, paranormal, romantic suspense, romantic science fiction, and time travel
- Science-Fiction - 'what if' stories that are based on actual scientific fact. Science fiction must have some sort of logical science inherent to the story, or some sort of logical basis for what is going on. Science fiction can be broadly divided into hard (the science is the most important part of the story), soft (the characters are the most important part of the story) or social (the culture is the most important part of the story). Science fiction subgenres include alternate history, apocalyptic, biopunk, cyberpunk, dying planet, gothic, military, pulp, steampunk, time travel, space colonization, space opera, and urban
- Short Story - actually, this is not a genre but a length. A work of fiction is called a short story if it has less than 7500 words in it - short stories can be written in any genre.
- Stream of Consciousness - also called free-writing - unedited and spontaneous ramblings on any topic
- Tragedy - stories that make us cry
- War Fiction - stories about war and the military
- Western Fiction - stories about the American Old West. Westerns are usually adventure fiction that is specifically set in this period of US history, usually (but not always) dealing with the western states and Mexico.
109 people found this useful
Fiction is something that is feigned, invented, or imagined, especially as pertains to oral and written information, such as "the fiction of those golden apples" (Sir Walter Raleigh). Fiction can also mean the act of inventing, such as "It was a mere fiction of the mind." Fiction is most often use…d to mean a body of literature which is invented or imagined, such as "That book is fiction." Click on the Related Question to see what the different types of fiction are. A novel or a book of Fairy Tales are examples of fictional books. Fiction is a class of literary and artistic works in which thecontent is the product of the author's or composer's imagination.Fiction is found in many works of literature and art includingnovels, short stories, drama, film, and television series. Fictionis mainly used for entertainment but may also serve an educationalpurpose in the depiction of the human condition. ( Full Answer )
It denotes a style or category, such as art, music or literature. For example, literature has four main genres, poetry, drama, fiction and non fiction that have particular functions that distinguish one from another
Fictionalization is a verb. Fictionalization definition is a truestory that has change some of the details or by even adding detailsto it.
A genre is a loose set of criteria for a category ofcomposition; the term is often used to categorize literature andspeech, but is also used for any other form of art or utterance.
A genre describes what type of story something is. Horror is scary, comedy is funny, tragedy is sad, mystery is mysterious, adventure is exciting, you get the idea.. Also:. Prose fiction. Novel . Short story . Poetry. Epic . Lyric . Ballad
Science fiction is a specific genre. In general, it involves taking some scientific idea and either 'predicting' where things will go in the future, or changing some aspect of science. Finding a way of exceeding the speed of light is such an idea. These are plausible ideas. Many early SF stories hav…e had aspects come true, such as nuclear power, trips to the moon, and even organ transplants. Another SF plot line is to make a change to society's norms. This is often the results of a catastrophe that leaves society in a strange situation, such is badly mutated, or a population approaching zero. ( Full Answer )
Yes, I would say so, book stores and libraries have separate juvenile sections for children"s fare, which is a good thing. It is a genre in the sense of (type) like scince-fiction, historical fiction, etc.
There are many different kinds of books within the non-fictiongenre. These books include biographies, text books, memoirs, andhistories.
fiction is the telling of stories which are not entirely based upon facts. more specifically, fiction is an imaginative form of narrative, one of the four basic rhetorical modes. . although the word fiction is derived from the latin fingo, fingere, finxi, fictum, "to form creat", works of fict…ion need not be entirely imaginary and may include real people, places, and events. Fiction=not real/made up Non-Fiction=real, actually happened ( Full Answer )
A genre is basically a category used to place music into. Music isseparated using rock, country, pop, hip hop, and oldies.
Either Science Fiction: Star Wars Star Trek Or Fantasy Fiction: Harry Potter Birth of a King by Jenka
The Who is now considered 'Classic Rock', but is classified as being a Rock/Pop Rock band.
A genre is a category of literary composition characterized by a particular style, form or content. Fiction genres include romance, mystery and science fiction.
Mermaids are a fiction topic. They were first introduced when Greek fishermen caught sight of dugongs, but mistook them for young maidens with the top half being human features, but the bottom half was the tail of a fish. They later became known as mermaids, which means half-woman half-fish.
Yes, the books of Twilight are fiction because it is not based on something true and it is not true. =)
Fiction is a good genre because loads of people read it, there are also many different types of fiction, such as: normal fiction, horror, fantasy, science fiction ect. Also you can really let your imagination run wild when either reading or writing it.
Well one thing is , what's it going to be about Culture, technology, environment. Remember it's in the future! :D
For the Victorian anything with a moral offense was 'decadently delicious'. So adultery, infidelity, bestiality, abuse of children, religious abominations....
Opinions and tastes vary widely but lets start a list. . Flowers for Algernon . Frankenstein . Mission of Gravity . War of the Worlds . Time Machine . The Gods themselves
Science fiction is a genre of fiction. It differs from fantasy in that, within the context of the story, its imaginary elements are largely possible within scientifically established or scientifically postulated laws of nature (though some elements in a story might still be pure imaginative specul…ation). ( Full Answer )
Historical fiction means that the setting is set in some historical environment and that the facts are kept as close to accurate as possible. When the facts are not kept accurate you stray into what is called alternate history.
I think so! I think it's either fiction or non-fiction and then you can narrow it down into sub-genres...e.g. crime, romance... =D
Tragedy is the genre of fiction into which " Oedipus Re x" by Sophocles (495 B.C.E. - 405 B.C.E.) fits. Specifically, tragedy refers to an unfortunate turn in, or end to, life. The description fits the above-mentioned played. The story follows the rise and rapid fall of Theban King Oedipus when …his present life unfortunately clashes with disturbing revelations from his past. ( Full Answer )
It has gotten people used to the idea that there will be a future, of some sort, and that it will be different. Throughout most of humanity's existence, you died in more or less the same world you were born in. It has popularized science, to some extent. I can remember being laughed at in school …for saying that we would go to the Moon some day, and that there might be aliens living somewhere in space. Now everyone but the extreme far left lunatic fringe knows we have gone to the Moon, and people are making a living pretending to alien encounters (Roswell or the Hill case for example) that obviously never actually happened. There are even people who believe that V was a documentary and the world is actually run by lizard people from outer space. On no evidence at all of course-- so far there is no actual proof of alien life anywhere in the Universe. I guess what I am trying to say, is that the Media, in popularizing the notion of "The Future", is going a little wild, so this awareness is not exactly 100% a good thing. ( Full Answer )
It is when a piece of literature is based on fact and is not make believe
Generally, fiction is a story that is made up and non-fiction is true or based on truth.
Yes, animal fiction is an actual genre. It usually involves thestory focusing on one or multiple animals in a story. They can beanthropomorphic or show some kind of human qualities like being theactual narrator of the story.
Fiction is based on imagination - not real. Nonfiction is based on reality - fact. ..they're not the same .
Which of these is a good focusing question to ask about a work f fiction when preparing to write a genre interpretation essay comparing and contrasting attitudes toward childhood?
Does the tone of the work reveal anything about the narrator's attitude toward childhood? What elements of the work communicate the narrator's attitude toward children. (apexx) All of these are good focusing questions.
The assurance that evil and corruption can be overthrown by justice and the goodness of man.
it depends on how you write it :) Sometimes other ppl just lie intheir essay.. for ex. your teacher asked you on what u did thisvacation and you said you visited paris newy york london but not
Historical Fiction is fiction based on real people and/or events, the only criteria being that the story is set sometime in the past . Some experts go so far as to say it has to be set in a time before the writer's birth . It can be as realistic (WWI drama about an infantry corps in the battle of …Ypres) or as fantastical (Nazi zombie pirate robots taming dinosaurs and fighting aliens in Julius Caesar's backyard) as the writer wants. Historical fiction can also be combined with other sub-genres to create historical romance, historical whodunit, etc. ( Full Answer )
Why do authors use the science fiction or fantasy or magical realism genre to tell an allegorical story?
because jellybeans are cool The jellybeans only apply to the fantasy and Magic Realism The reason for including Science Fiction is because it is just plain awesome. But seriously allegory can use any genre of writing. It does not have to be limited to these three.
i think it is because it did happen but did have some parts added in, however it is mainly considered a drama
The most important elements of Science Fiction is the fiction: plot, characters, theme, narration, setting, and writing style. The Science part is supplemental, an added element.
the genre is fantasy, because it has mythological creatures. it does, however, tell us the history associating with greece and rome, and tells of the people's beliefs
non fiction. Fiction is Fake the events that take place won't really happen in real life
fiction is made up or make believe. it will never happen in real life. non fiction is real facts, thing with proof and evidence to back the facts up.
In 1979, Bethany House published "Love Comes Softly" by Janette Oke. Before this, the Christian Fiction genre was often overlooked by publishers. The publishing of this book was credited with establishing the genre.
It is true that science fiction and fantasy are two different genres. they are usually lumped together because both deal with the imagination, with characters belonging to worlds completely different from ours.
The genre that a non fiction book would be, would depend on its subject. Non fiction is narrative and factual and can be in many genres such as biographies, do it yourself, gardening, and art.
Fiction is a story, tale, novel that comes from the imagination ofan author, though it could be loosely based on a true-story. Non-fiction is based on facts, and could be a manual, user guide,and be factual. +++ Err, yes, but that's not what was asked. The purpose of fictionis purely to entertain t…he reader, though he or she may gainacademically in understanding the author's style and works, and ofcourse culturally. That of non-fiction is primarily to educate thereader in its subject - hopefully in an entertaining or at leastinteresting and readable manner. Reading the fiction novels ofCharles Dickens or Samual Clements will teach you the author'sstyles; reading biographies of them will teach you about theirlives. ( Full Answer )
A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens, fits into several genres. They include social criticism, novel, and fiction.
Julie Benz has been involved in a large amount of science fiction projects. Is that a coincidence or is there a reason she's attracted to that specific genre?
I've always had a fascination with science fiction since my parentstook me to see the original Star Wars movie when I was a kid. As anactor, I find the genre to be challenging on a creative level-thegiven circumstances are so extreme and it's up to the actor to makeit believable. Plus, the female ch…aracters are more fully written,they're allowed to be more complex and bad ass than in mainstreamtelevision. ( Full Answer )
Fiction has many subgenres. Animal fiction, adventure fiction, mystery & detective fiction, science fiction, romance fiction, western fiction, manga, comic books, TV/movie novelization, and spy/techno thrillers.
I'm looking for a certain book genre can anyone tell me how its called The genre is fiction but its completely possible and is set in the past like 17th century or earlier?
The book genre that is fiction, completely possible, but is alsoset in the past is called historical fiction.
I survived is a non-fiction book. They are actually true storieswritten through the eyes of a boy who experienced all of theevents.
What is the first known piece of literature that could be considered to be of the science fiction genre?
The genre developed over time. Greeks had stories aboutsupernatural beings, and in the second century, there were satireswritten about a hero who goes to the moon. In the 1500s, the age ofexploration began, and science became more real. Kepler in 1634imagined living on the moon. Francis Bacon publis…hed used fictionto explain his scientific theory in 1624. One of the most famousscience fiction stories is Gulliver's Travels in 1726. So,as with many things science fiction, it evolved with people addingto it through the centuries. Another perspective: I consider the legends of Daedalus to berather obvious examples of gadgetry science fiction. Also there aresome stories dating back to the Bronze Age. ( Full Answer )
I know that National University has a great program in CreativeWriting that has many perks: it's on a rolling admission basis, soyou apply throughout the year; each class is structured in amonthly format; it accepts Genre-Fiction writers (Sic-Fi, Horror,Fantasy, etc); and you can choose 4 Genres to …focus on (Fiction,Creative Non Fiction, Screenwriting, and Poetry). ( Full Answer )
They are fairy tales. The gruesome, sadistic parts may seem like afictive invention, but it's a cultural thing. They're folk tales,retold. And the Brothers Grimm did not even change their names;It's a coincidence!