What are the most popular spectator sports in the world?
Here is input from WikiAnswers contributors on sports' popularity:
- In the world: Soccer, Basketball, Ice hockey
- Soccer, Basketball, Rugby, Cricket, Auto Racing, Field Hockey and Table Tennis
- Soccer, Basketball, Auto Racing, Football, Cricket, Baseball, Hockey, Rugby.
- Football as in NFL?, baseball, ice hockey? Those are predominantly all North American sports. Let's take a look; population of Canada + US = rougly 300 million! India (pop 1 billion) - just by itself can put cricket and field hockey above baseball and ice hockey. Looking at the international scene, cricket is more popular than baseball. And field hockey is a lot more popular than ice hockey! NFL shouldn't even be counted in this category!
- Ice hockey is also popular all over Europe east and west, plus Russia plus the US plus Canada. That's about a billon and a bit enough to give it some distinction.
- After soccer I think it is Basketball.
- I think its soccer, basketball, table, tennis, vollyball, baseball and rugby.
- I think its soccer, volleyball, tennis and cricket.
- Soccer is the most popular with over the half of the world's population watching it. (3.3 Billion). Cricket is the next. Everyone would be probably surprised. But, about half of the world's population lives in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. Moreover Cricket is the national sport of England. Australia's most popular sport is cricket, even new zeland. Total cricket fans are 3 to 3.3 BILLION. Hockey is also very popular. Then comes Volleyball, Tennis. American sports like baseball and basketball are not played anywhere in India, China, Pakistan, so they do not have a lot of fans.
- 1. Football (i.e. soccer), 2. basketball, 3. Swimming, 4. tennis, 5. Motor Racing, 6. Ice Hockey, 7. Cricket, 8. Golf, 9. Baseball, 10. Snooker (i.e. pool or billiards). These ratings are based on people following the sports, teams participating and popularity.
- Thai kick Boxing is the most seen and followed sport in china officilally 1 200 000 000+ people
- Football first. No argument with that. (Americans note: By football, I mean what you people call soccer) Basketball next. It's already the most popular sport in china too. .
- After football (soccer) and basketball would come boxing. Boxing generates a little bit of interest in many countries in the world which eventually adds up. Countries like Pakistan and the U.S. (both heavily populated) have many prominent boxers and the people have some interest in the sport too.
- *** I also have to disagree with the (un)popularity of rugby. First, to WHICH American continent are you referring? There are TWO, you know. In Argentina and Uruguay, it is actually the second most popular sport (after soccer). I teach alongside an Argentinian, and play rugby on a team with a Uruguayan. Try telling HIM it's not a popular sport in South America...
- To me, the number one sport in the world is soccer, of course.
Then it's basketball. Why basketball? Because of Yao Ming,
Basketball is number one in China. It's also growing up in Europe,
and South America, like Argentina and Brazil.
cricket second most popular sport in the world if u haven't noticed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket
i think it is volleyball. that's what I've heard to
Hello! In all this talk I am amazed that no-one has pointed out that actually there are two different forms of Rugby - in Australia during the summer cricket is the most popular sport, but during the winter Rugby League is top dog - in terms of playing numbers, attendances and tv viewing figures. In Britain domestic Rugby League is the second most watched team sport NOT rugby union - it is only the international matches in rugby union which pull in bigger crowds.
Actually during the winter, Australian Rules football is the number one sport by a long shot in every category. Whomever made the comment about rugby league being number one is completely untrue. In terms of live attendance the AFL draws the second highest average attendance of any sporting league in the world and gets well over twice the spectators rugby does. In terms on participation, more than 530,000 Australians play Aussie rules compared to 196,000 for rugby league. Aussie rules not only wins but dominates in winter.
It's Soccer/football first (with the World Cup being the most higly watched sporting event in the world) followed by the Olympics. Of course those are every four years. The most widely watched event world-wide year after year is FORMULA ONE auto racing.
#1 Is Soccer (Football) #2 is Judo!! Yes Judo, Americans do not realize this but it is very true....
#3 is Rugby, #4 is Baseball, #5 is Cricket and #6 is Football
Soccer, yes. Cricket, rugby, never. Did anybody mention horse racing? Or NASCAR?
Cricket is the Second Most Popular Sport in the World
Top 3 sports In terms of number of people crazy about it.
1. Soccer (By far the most popular in South America, Europe, Africa and middle east. Somewhat popular in East Asia. Least popular in South Asia(India, Pakistan, Srilanka).
2. Cricket (By far the most popular sport in India with >90% of the billion population crazy about it just like soccer in Brazil. It's also number one sport in Pakistan, Srilanka & Bangladesh. Its a number two in Australia, NewZealand and South Africa. It's also popular in UK and Several African countries.
3. Lawn tennis. This is the sport which is played everywhere in the world and is popular among elite and middle classes throughout the world.