Mental Health
Abusive Relationships and Domestic Violence

What can a 12-year-old do when their father is emotionally and verbally abusive?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2006-08-30 08:58:00
2006-08-30 08:58:00

You should talk to an adult in your family such as grandparents or an aunt. If your relatives don't live close then you can talk to your school counselor or a priest or pastor. You can also go to Child Welfare on your own and put in a complaint. It will be investigated and depending on the findings you could become a ward of the court and put into foster care. Good luck! * Unfortunately, social services in the US does not consider verbal and emotional abuse a legal issue. State agencies that handle such matters would suggest family counseling but would take no further action unless the child or children had been neglected, physically abused. Because all such agencies private and public are understaffed and underfunded their resources are extremely limited in what action can be taken when the issue is not one of physical abuse or child endangement. If a child believes themselves or other family members to be in danger of immediate physical harm they should call 911 for assistance. It is the moral duty of everyone to report abuse of children, physically or mentally disabled, elderly or indeed any person who is incapable of helping themselves. National Child Abuse Hotline 1-800-422-4453 or 1-800-252-2873 National Youth Crisis Services, 1-800-448-4463 Teenline Online,, A website staffed by trained teens to aid young people in finding assistance and solutions for their problems.


Related Questions

Keep them away from the father and make an agreement with him not to be verbally abusive to your children

Yes, it is normal with some children who grow up with a verbally abusive father to think that honesty is not always if ever the best police when dealing with authority figures other than his own father because a verbally abusive father has life twisted around in his own mind. A child that is either verbally or physically abused by their father will most likely try to please that father more so than the father. However, there are other children who grow up with verbally abusive fathers who make an extreme effort to be the opposite of their father and when those grown children have children of their own they make sure their children will not have to go through the same thing they went through.

The Father is the Sons role model. Father teaches the Son how to treat woman/men/children and how to be a man. If the Father is emotionally abusive, the Son will more than likely grow up to be an abuser aswell.

Hayley's ex-stepfather was verbally abusive. Her biological father is not abusive. I really hope this isn't true! if i is, poor hayley :(

Yes, the child should not be with their father. Unless the father is willing to go to couseling. Good luck and God Bless:)

Call the police station and speak to an officer about it. If the step-father is threatening the children he can be removed and not the children.

Yes you can, you should complain to the police and then let them take the first action.

Although it's mentally unhealthy for everyone involved, the answer is yes. If the son and father share a mutual disgust for the mother they can bond in this fashion.

He can be verbally abusive due to many different reasons. I will explain some examples. He may have grown up with a father who was verbally abusive, and he may have picked up on his father's characteristics of being verbally abusive. He may be verbally abusive because he lacks self confidence.Another reason why he is verbally abusive is because he may be trying to control you. Control in relationships may not be recognized easily,however, if you are experiencing verbal abuse you should be aware that he may be trying to control you. You should try to take actions to change his behavior, seeking help from counselors is a great way to start. Verbal abuse can effect you mentally,physically, and emotionally. Anwer2. Verbal, emotional and physical abuse are forms of VIOLENCE. The Bible makes this point at Ephesians 4:31: Put away from yourselves every kind of malicious bitterness, anger, wrath, screaming, and abusive speech as well as everything injurious." Jehovah God does not approve of abusive speech or conduct and that victims should not accept such behavior as normal or as something that is their fault. People that belittle others just try to elevate themselves because of their own insecurities. Being a victim of verbal or physical abuse can be devastating. Do not continue to suffer in silence, hoping things will change. THEY DO NOT!!! Often a person who is abusive needs to seek professional help for something that has happened in their past that they have never dealt with. It could have been an abusive father, a molestation or something else traumatic. You can suggest that both of you go to counseling together. If he is not agreeable, ask yourself, is this really a situation you want to stay in long term. Only you can decide whether it is worth it, but know that everyone deserves to be treated with love, kindness and respect.

Talk to someone, get your feelings out. Things feel so much better when you tell someone, hopefully someone you trust.

Why would anyone leave a child with someone who is verbally abusive? No. Your son should not see you being spoken to disrespectfully by a close family member as it will affect his attitudes as he grows up. You don't need the upset of it either. I think your father should be kept away from your son until he learns to behave like a reasonable adult.

He was physically and verbally abused by his father.

If the 13 year old tells the court what is going on i think the will take favor in the child

In real life: no. For a work of fiction: yes, but only to cause conflict which has to be resolved.

Hitler's father was abusive, but not his mother.

yes i think that it is abusive to the kid emotionally and mentally because it gets on the kids nerves and over time it will effect the kid.

I would let someone know that you are being abused when you visit your father. Perhaps his visitation with you can be supervised so you will not be hurt from him. Let your mother know this is occurring and she can have it supervised.

You should be able to ask the judge who presided over the divorce, or if there is a caseworker assigned to the family, that would be a better place to start. * A sixteen-year-old does not have that right automatically. Legally, the father still has the right to his visitation time. If a father is emotionally or physically abusive, the mother or an attorney acting on behalf of the child may petition the court for a change in the custoday order. * No, minors are not allowed to make such decisions when there is a visitation order in place. Generally the law does not address issues of alledged emotional or verbal abuse as there is such a wide definition of such behavior. The custodial parent can petition for a change in the visitation rights of the non custodial parent, but rarely will visitation be suspended under the cited circumstances, however, supervised visitation might be an option.

That is up to the judge to decide based on Child Protective Service's report. You have to call them and tell them what is going on in order to get help.

That wouldn't be easy. If he is really an abuser (rather than someone who just loses his temper sometimes) then this would be incredibly difficult. He is verbally abusive in order to establish control. Try talking to your son and see how he is; see what effect this is having on him.

the father is there for support. financially, and emotionally.

It is true sometimes, this father behavior causes men to follow in their father's footsteps but most of the time this is not the case. I would seek counseling from a therapist, just to talk through the abuse concured from the father. All and all, it is about the person, people are not their parents. If someone is becoming abusive they need to get help, then they can stop it.

It's not up to you to stop your father from abusing you physically and emotionally. His abusive behaviour is not about you; it is not a reflection of your character. It is solely about his own mental and emotional state. Your duty is to get away from the abuser, to find a safe haven, and to report him to the authorities. Let the courts and the healthcare system deal with your father. It's not your fault, nor your responsibility. Your job is to get out of there alive.

well I don't think that you can. I think that you have to have more reason then your father yells at you. You can get emacipated at 16 in Oklahoma but you have to have a very good reason.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.