What did James Monroe do as president?
Events of the James Monre administration (1817-1825)
- First Seminole War (1817-1819) resulted in invasion of Florida and trouble with Spain who owned it.
- Rush-Bagot Treaty (1818) - a treaty with Great Britain to disarm the Great Lakes.
- Adams-Otis Treaty with Spain. Ceded Florida to the US and settled damage claims by Americans against Spain. Spain dropped its claims to Oregon.
- Panic of 1819- lasted until 1821
- Misouri Compromise (1820) admitted Missouri as a slave state, Maine as a free state
- Monroe Doctrine (1823) a message to Congress warning European states against intervention in the Americas
- states joining the union: Mississppi, Illinois, Alabama, Maine and Missouri