Best Answer

Your Homeowners insurance policy will pay for damages that result from the covered perils specified on your insurance policy subject to the policy limits and any deductibles listed therein.

User Avatar

Wiki User

โˆ™ 2012-07-19 09:35:34
This answer is:
User Avatar

Add your answer:

Earn +20 pts
Q: What does homeowners insurance pay for in case of damage to your house?
Write your answer...
Related questions

What is homeowners insurance?

Homeowners need insurance protection in the event of damage to their property. That's basically what homeowners insurance offers: financial protection in case disaster strikes. In the US, basic coverage (also called "Form 1", or "H1") will insure your house against damage from fire and lightening. If you want more protection you'll need to purchase broader coverage.Homeowners insurance is a package policy. This means that it covers both damage to your property and your liability or legal responsibility for any injuries and property damage you or members of your family cause to other people. This includes damage caused by household pets.

Does homeowners insurance cover attic restoration?

Certainly not. Homeowner's insurance does not pay for renovation to any part of your home unless it was damaged and the damage was due to a covered cause. And, in the case of damage, the insurance will strive to replace, not improve the situation.

Would homeowners insurance cover if an animal chewed your house?

In some cases yes, Animal damage beyond normal wear and tear can be covered. In the case of damage incidental to choice of animal pets though there is generally no coverage.

Is it nessacary to get an art quote when buying homeowners insurance?

No, you can take pictures of all aspects of your house, including artwork and typically your insurance will use the pictures in case insurance is needed.

How do you know if the dirt the house is built on is not part of the homeowners insurance coverage?

Earth movement is generally not covered under a homeowners insurance policy so that should answer your question. The only case it might be covered is if you purchase an endorsement to add coverage for earthquake. Remember that maintenance and faulty building is not covered under homeowners insurance.

What does homeowners insurance pay for a case of damage to your house and it's contents?

It depends on your coverage. Usually it's the amount of damage/loss minus your deductible. Some types of damage may not be covered; for example, it's fairly common for flood or earthquake damage not to be covered unless you buy additional coverage specifically for those hazards.

What purpose does unoccupied home insurance serve?

Unoccupied home insurance helps protect your house when it is empty. It covers what regular home insurance does not, in the case that your house is left unoccupied for a month or more. It covers damage in the case of fire, earthquake, explosion and lightning.

Will homeowners insurance pay if you fell in your house and broke out two teeth?

Any kind of injuries you suffer within your own house would not be covered by your Home insurance; that would fall under your medical (or in this case, dental) coverage.

What does homeowner's insurance pay for in case of damage to your house and its contents?

Rebuilding the house and buying all new items to replace those damaged

If you live in a townhouse who is responsible for insuring against flood damage?

For townhouses, you should make sure your homeowners association carries appropriate federal flood insurance which protects you and you neighbors from rising water from a stream, river, ocean or canal. If a flood in your house is caused by sewer backup or a broken pipes, you need to make sure your personal homeowners insurance covers those problems. Also, ask your homeowners insurance company how to insure common walls of a townhouse in case your neighbor has a broken pipe or some other internal problem.

Will homeowners insurance cover your fence?

The fence is covered. If the fence is attached to the house then it is considered part of the dwelling. If it is not attached to the house then it is considered part of other structures. In either case coverage depends completely on whether or not the damage was because of a covered cause and that it exceeded the deductible enough to justify making a claim.

Does homeowners insurance cover damage from leaking skylight?

Generally an issue like this is not a covered loss on a homeowners insurance. The reason for this is that it is a maintenance issue that should have been fixed by the homeowner before damage occurred. Now if a storm occurred and a tree branch broke the skylight and then because of the storm rain came into the home. In the second case the cause was windstorm. Windstorm is a covered cause on a homeowners policy and therefore not only will the skylight be fixed but also the damage caused by the water coming into the home and whatever damage was caused by this. Most issues that are covered under a homeowners policy and ones that are "sudden and accidental". A lack of maintenance type of damage is usually something that happens over a period of time.

Will your homeowners insurance cover damage to your neighbors property caused by fire damage?

Generally no. The only time that your homeowners policy will cover property of anyone else is if you are legally liable for the damages. For instance if you started a fire on purpose for some reasonable need that got away from you and they neighbor demanded payment. In this case you turn it over to your insurance company which will decide how to proceed. You liability section provides coverage for damages and they will provide legal defense in addition to the liability coverage if necessary. I will caution you that liaiblity claims will make you typhoid Mary to insurance companies and you will not have luck getting or keeping homeowners insurance.

Are facia boards covered by house insurance?

If they are damaged by a covered cause then yes. I believe you are referring to damage caused by lack of maintenance and in that case they are not covered. It is specifically your responsibility to maintain the home and homeowners insurance is not designed to do this. If you have a fire or a tornado rips off your roof then the facia boards are covered along with other items damaged.

Do you have to have homeowners insurance?

If you own the home, with no mortgage on it, no, you do not have to have insurance. That said, it is very ill advised to not have insurance. When buying a home, insurance is generally required so that in case of any loss, the financial institution that holds the mortgage note is protected from loss should the house be damaged or destroyed.

Who pays for the ambulance when a child almost drowns in the pool?

Question your homeowners insurance. If it was the neighbor's pool, perhaps their liability/homeowners insurance will pick up the cost. In any case, you have to have the ambulance at any price.

Does a homeowner have to have insurance?

Depending on the home loan, you may be required to have insurance. If you buy your house out right, there is nothing requiring you to have insurance. Unlike driving a car, you can legally own a home without homeowners insurance. However, if you finance your home with a mortgage, your lender most likely will require you to have home insurance coverage to protect your home and the lenders investment in case of damage caused by unforeseen circumstances, such as fires or natural disasters.

Why should someone get more than just house insurance when owning a home with property?

House insurance covers only damage to the actual house and contents. Additional insurance may be needed for outbuildings and other structures, such as fences. Liability insurance may also be needed in case somebody gets hurt on the property.

How does homeowners insurance protect the mortgagee in case of a loss?

puts their name as a payee on the claim settlement check

Are dishwasher leaks causing damage to another unit's ceiling covered by homeowner's insurance?

The other person's insurance will have to cover their OWN damage. If a tree in your yard falls onto your neighbor's house, the neighbor has to use their own insurance. So it works the same for your case. Your insurance will cover your damages and the nieghbor's insurance will cover their own ceiling.

Can you file a lien against your neighbor's house if she let a 16-year-old drive her car and she destroyed your fence and neither has insurance and her house is for sale and she has moved?

Don't you have insurance? Perhaps your homeowners policy will cover the damage to your fence. Another alternative would be to sue your neighbor in small claims court. If the amount of damage exceeds the small-claims limit, you may have to bump your case up to the next level of civil court. And are you sure the car wasn't insured? yes, better hurry.

If your husband damages your car in the driveway of your home do you file a claim under your homeowners policy or the auto policy?

If you have an umbrella policy, that might cover it. If you have separate standard polices for home and auto, the auto insurance will cover it first. Deductibles might be picked up by the homeowners. Policies are hugely different, though. You need to consult your policies and call your agents. Recently, my father-in-law bashed my car with his while backing out of my driveway. My collision insurance covered the damage to my car. His covered the damage to his. My homeowners insurance did not cover my out-of-pocket expenses for the deductibles, but his liability insurance did. It's a little different in your case because the same policy covers both cars (I assume).

Does homeowners insurance cover renters belongings when their house was broken into and items were stolen?

If you are the owner of the house, and are renting to tenants (making you the landlord), then you only have insurance on the house (dwelling coverage - not homeowners coverage) and not the personal contents of the renters. In this case, no, your insurance will not cover their loss. It is the responsibility of the renters to purchase insurance coverage on their personal belongings. If you are the renter (tenant), then you have to buy contents coverage on your personal belongings, such as furniture, clothing, etc. The landlord is not responsible for your belongings, whether the loss is from robbery, fire, etc. In order to purchase homeowners insurance you have to own the home (but it can still be mortgaged) and you have to live in the home. Otherwise, you have to have a dwelling policy on the house if you want it insured, whether it's vacant or rented. If, however, there is still a mortgage on the house, the bank (or mortgage holder) will require you to have insurance on it. If the house is paid for, then it is at your discretion whether to have it insured or not, for the value of the house. But if you rent it out, your state may require that you carry liability insurance on it.

What is so special about a home insurance owner?

There is nothing special about a home insurance owner. It is simply a person that has insured their home which 99.9% of people who buy a house do. Without home insurance one has no protection in case of damage or theft.

Is private mortgage insurance the same as homeowners insurance?

They are not the same. Homeowner's insurance insures the property: dwelling, personal property, other structures on the property, etc. Private mortgage insurance pays the mortgage in case of the death or disability of the mortgagor.

People also asked

How has globalization contributed to the recent increase in international terrorism?

View results

What does the World Bank hope will result from the loans it makes to developing countries?

View results

Why don't many developing countries benefit from the spread of free trade?

View results

What is one reason why some people are critical of globalization?

View results

What was the result of developed countries extracting resources from their colonies?

View results

What is one of the disadvantages of getting a government-sponsored mortgage?

View results
Study guides

Create a Study Guide