What does it mean when a 1998 mark VIII is idle and the rpm's jump erratically up and down?

It sounds like the IAC valve which is very easy to change on the 97-98 models but first check to see if there is a vacuum leak. Hope this helps. The IAC is the Idle Air Control valve and is on top of the intake manifold driver's side.