Asked in Rain and Flooding
What effects do floods have on buildings?
January 23, 2011 3:05PM
EFFECT ON BUILDINGS
The damage to buildings due to floods are as follows:
1) Houses are washed away due to the impact of the water
under high stream velocity. The houses are commonly
destroyed or dislocated so severely that their reconstruction
is not feasible.
2) Houses constructed out of light weight materials like wood
float when they are not anchored properly.
3) Damage caused by inundation of house. The house may
remain intact on its foundation, but damage to materials
may be severe. Repair is often feasible but may require
special procedures to dry out properly.
4) Undercutting of houses. The velocity of the water may scour and erode the foundation of the
house or the earth under the foundation. This may result in the collapse of the house or require
5) Damage caused by debris. Massive floating objects like
trees, electric poles, etc. may damage the standing houses.