Children and the Law
Child Support

What is a 17-year-old mother's rights to her child?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2005-09-24 03:16:34
2005-09-24 03:16:34

I believe she has full rights to her child as would an adult. why do you ask? are you planning on removing the child? is she harming the child? if so please remove the child if the abuse is really bad. if not please get this mother help for her and her child. find them a good church and pray for her.


Related Questions

Nope, no rights to the child at all after birth.

He absolutely cannot. The mother can call the police and they can take the child back. Most likely will he loose visitation rights if he does this or it will be supervised or in the mothers home.

Teenage mothers have all of the same rights that adult age mothers have. They have the right to custody, child support, and help from social agencies.

Only if the mother has no legal rights to that child.

It seems unlikely that the courts would accept this. Anyway, terminating parental rights does not terminate child support. see links

Typically, an adoption terminates the rights and responsibilities of the biological parents.

He has just as many rights to the child as the mother does. It is his child too after all. HOWEVER- his rights are not as cut and dry as are the mothers. If his name is NOT on the birth certificate he has NO rights. At that point he would be required to pay for DNA testing to prove it is his child before he can do anything. Then and only then can he exercise his rights as a father.

Yes if the family is not found suitable. You don't mention the father and his rights. For a child to be able to be adopted the father have to agree as well.

Police don't question mothers about custody when there's a claim the father kidnapped the child, but single fathers have absolutely no rights to the child until granted them. see link

If by "signing off" you mean, terminating parental rights, support continues until/unless the child is adopted.

She has full custody from birth. The father have to prove paternity in court to gain his parental rights and get custody, visitation and pay child support.

for all have rights! is not only the mothers baby but is also your baby.go to an attorney and speak about fathers rights

Yes, but only if the legal parents sign all rights.

In general, parental rights are terminated either preparatory to an adoption, or after a trial in which it is determined that the parent is unfit. In any case, termination of parental rights does not, in itself, terminate child support.

no, only mothers have the right to abort responsibility for a child, even after the birth. see link below

Mothers have eggs which the father fertilizes. Mothers are needed to nurse and educate the child.

He's exercising his right to abort his responsibility for a child he didn't want. The same rights mothers have without killing the child. But than, mothers are also allowed to abort their responsibility for the child even after the child is born. Shouldn't he be allowed the same right?

File for contempt of court on the child support, but there's nothing that can be done about him not seeing the child as that could open a can of worms incurring the anger of feminists. If you started doing that they would have to start charging mothers for violating the father's court ordered visitation rights, which 60% of fathers are denied access according to the US Dept. of Health & Human Services study, "Survey of Absentee Parents" over 60% of mothers regularly violate the access rights of fathers. They will cut off all contact between the children and their fathers within five years. Unlike child support, mothers are not jailed, even with multiple Contempt of Court ruling against them for violating the fathers' court ordered visitation rights.Can you imagine arresting 60% of custodial mothers?

There must be a court order terminating parental rights. A person cannot sign over their rights to another -- the law does not recognize such a procedure. Until the court issues an order, the father has retained their parental rights, and child support payments will need to continue according to the court order. If parental rights are terminated, there are no child support payments required

A legally adopted child is considered the parent's child just as much as if they had given birth to that child. So being adopted does not affect the rights or the heirship of the deceased parent's house and assets, even if they have biological children, as well. What does matter, is the state's laws regarding heirships with or without a will. You need to consult an attorney if there is no will to see what your rights are.

No one has greater rights than a parent.

New Mexico law does not have a specific statute that addresses the rights of single mothers. As with other states, the rights of parents are secondary to the rights of a child. In all cases, if a court is to decide the living arrangements of a child and contact with parents, it will be based on the welfare of the child. The marital status of the parents is of little importance compared to the ability of parents to provide a safe and nurturing environment for the child.

Mothers don't hate their middle child ok? They love them but they need discipline they don't hate them.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.