What is a home-based business?
A home-based business can be either product-oriented or service-oriented. This is something a person enjoys doing or is skilled at doing. It allows you to be flexible so you can work around your family and work schedules. You get the independence of being your own boss.
- The term home based business means just that. The business is mainly run from home and orders are usually processed their. Home based businesses come in many forms: Own company: a home based business ran by an individual or family from home.
- Direct Sales: a home based business through catalog sales involves going outside and sharing product or catalog with friends e.g. Avon, Tupperware.
- Party-plan: Purely based on the booking and hosting of parties to share the product e.g. Tupperware, Nutrimetics
- MLM: Mainly based on recruitment structures e.g. Amway
- Network Marketing: based on building connections and then sharing a product or business e.g LR Health and Beauty Systems
The main reason people work from home is because it offers flexibility, freedom and choice.Although it isn't cost-effective all the time, it provides more opportunities and control for the business owner.
Well, home-based businesses have become more and more popular since the introduction of computers. They offer people the chance to sale their products (whether they be wholesale purchases or personal items) and services from their home. At the same time giving smaller businesses a better chance to compete by cutting out the middleman and other expenses inherit to a brick-and-mortar business. Affiliate programs have also given rise to the content-based online business. With these businesses there is no product or service being provided. Users of these programs make money by informing visitors to their site and directing traffic to merchants. Content-based online businesses have become a very popular alternative for average individuals as oppose to the standard merchant businesses because of their simplicity and substantial profits.