Asked in RecipesSoups and Stews
What is a recipe for split pea soup?
December 22, 2014 8:54PM
Split Pea Soup
1 tablespoon oil
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
6 cups ham, chicken or vegetable broth
1 pound split peas
1 ham bone
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large pot or stockpot over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots and celery.
- Cook until tender, approx. 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook one minute.
- Add the liquid, split peas, ham bone and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until peas are soft and beginning to fall apart, approx. 1 to 2 hours.
- Remove the ham bone and bay leaves.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix in mustard and lemon juice.
- Mix on low or use hand blender to puree to desired consistency.
- Makes 6 servings.