Asked in
Home Electricity
Electrical Wiring

What is the combination of voltage and amps?


User Avatar
Wiki User
February 02, 2009 11:54PM

Specifically, Volts and Amps would be called VA or volt amps, as in the rating of a transformer, but it is loosely referred to as Watts. In DC theory, Volts mulitplied by Amps equals Watts. In AC theory, that same equation exists but it includes power factor. If the power factor given is 1 (100%), then Volts mulitplied by Amps multiplied by Power Factor of 1 equals your Watts.