What is the role of sex chromosomes in the control of gender and inheritance of hemophilia?
There are two sex chromosomes - X and Y. A person with two X
chromosomes is female and a person with one X chromosome and one Y
chromosome is male. One sex chromosome is inherited from each
parent, with the sperm determining a child's sex.
Hemophilia is a sex-linked condition as these genes are located on a sex chromosome (i.e. Y chromosome). Males are hence more prone to hemophilia as they only have one X chromosome. The sons of a carrier female have a 50% chance of suffering from hemophilia. The daughters of a hemophiliac father and a carrier mother may be affected, where she receives an affected X from both parents.
I will explain, but I don't know why you put this in cat behavior. The X chromosome and Y chromosome control gender. If an embryo's two chromosomes are XX, it will be a girl. If the chromosomes are XY, it will be male. A pair of chromosomes have to have at least one X chromosome in it, but can also have a Y chromosome.
Genes are carried on chromosomes...the x and y chromosomes are known as the sex chromosomes and are responsible for determining the sex of a person. Two X's = female, XY= male (in everything except birds, where its opposite: XX= male and XY=female) ....so in a sense, genes determine gender, but really, its the entire x and y chromosomes that determine it...so not sure if this answers the question.
Would a son have the trait if the mother is a carrier of hemophilia and the father does have hemophilia?
There is a 50% chance of the son having hemophilia. Hemophilia is a recessive gene carried by the X chromosome. The alleles for the mother would be XHXh and for the father XhY. If the same couple would have another child, there is a 50% chance of a child of either gender being affected by hemophilia. There is a 25% chance that there will be an unaffected son and a 25% chance that they'll have…
Within the nucleus of a cell are the chromosomes. A typical human with have 23 pairs of chromosomes. 22 of those pairs are somatic or body chromosomes and don't influence gender. The remaining pair of chromosomes are the sex chromosomes and they are designated as being either an X or Y chromosome. Females have a pair of X's (XX) and males have an X and a Y (XY).
The "X" and "Y" chromosomes carry traits that define gender. So any gene on these chromosomes may affect gender; these are called "sex-linked", or more properly, "gender-linked". An animal (and remember, humans are animals) cell that has two "X" chromosomes is female, while a cell with one "X" and one "Y" chromosome is male. The other chromosomes can be found in either male or female organisms.