What is the science behind water purification?
- Evaporation (boiling), when pure clean water rises as steam.
- Physical and chemical treatment (filtering and chlorinating).
- Pressure and reverse osmosis. Water is forced through membranes that only allow pure water through.
The science is:
- testing can tell you if the raw water is reasonably safe
- big lumps settle out
- lumps can be filtered out
- organics and odours can be oxidized or stripped out
- viruses and bacteria can be killed with chlorine
- testing can tell you if the treated water is acceptable