There are a few sociological theories on deviance.
Some fundamental ones include:
1) Cultural Transmission Theory
- Deviance is a behaviour learned through interaction, just as conformity.
2) Differential Association Theory
- Explains proccess of Cultural Transmission
- Theorist = Sutherland
- Bad companions = Bad behaviour
3) Control Theory
- Explains deviance as the outcome of a failure in social control
- Originally Durkheim's suicide study; A condition of confusion that exists in society and individual's when social norms are weak, absent or conflicting.
- Merton applied Anomie to Deviance; Deviance as an outcome of an imbalance in society between socially approved goals & availibility of approved means of achieving them.
5) Status Frustration
- Theorist = Cohen
- Deviance due to blocked opportunities, frustrated with status/role set
6) Labelling Theory
- Theorist = Becker
- Deviance as a process by which some people successfully define others as deviant.
Hope that helped and wasn't too confusing =)