Math and Arithmetic
Units of Measure

What is used to measure a liquid's volume?



User Avatar
Wiki User

It depends on how much liquid (by eying it up) and what accuracy you want in your reading.

In a lab, if you are dealing with between 1 and 10ml, you can use a graduated pipette (this is more accurate than a graduated cylinder).

If smaller than 1ml, you could use a micropipette or a microsyringe (micropipette better).

If larger than 10ml, you may be able to find a graduated pipette that goes above 10ml but they are uncommon in standard labs.

In this case, you would use a graduated cylinder (beaker graduations are very misleading and are error prone)
If you have a graduated cylinder, beaker, measuring cup, etc. feel free to use that. Sometimes when using a graduated cylinder or beaker the liquid will have a dip. It might look kind of like a trampoline that's being stepped on (although it can also be upside down). This is called a meniscus. If there is a meniscus, always take the measurement of the tip of the curve.

If you don't have one of those tools you can take the measurement of the volume like length*width*height (depending on the shape of the container). If you can get this volume in cubic centimeters, one cubic centimeter is equal to a millimeter.


In chemical laboratories frequently are used pipettes, syringes and burettes.

Some delivering systems are very sensible, down to 1 microlitre.