What kind of schooling do you need to be a veterinary assistant?

No state in the US has educational or training requirements for a veterinary assistant. This is an entry-level position for veterinary staff and training is generally done on the job. There are some schools that offer veterinary assisting programs and "certify" their students however many of these are not overseen by an veterinary professionals or professional organizations and are often taught by people with no education or experience in the veterinary field. For people interested in enrolling in a veterinary assisting program, a wise choice would be to select programs offered by colleges that also offer an American Veterinary Medical Association accredited veterinary technology program or a veterinary assisting program that has been designed or approved by a veterinary professional association.