What occupational therapy courses are on offer in south Africa?
THERAPEUTIC HORSE RIDING MAKES A DIFFERENCE!
The therapeutic value of horse riding was described by Hippokrates as "The Riding's Healing Rhythm". The mission of this Therapeutic Riding School is to do an unique form of therapy on horseback for people with specific needs.
Different goals can be reached, e.g.
· Improvement of muscle tone and strength
· General balance improves
· Eye-muscles improve - influence on reading
· Increased attention span and concentration
· Hyperactive children tend to calm down
· Tactile system is stimulated
· Emotional/behavioral problems improve
· Increased spatial and body awareness
· Development of self-confidence and motivation
· School performance can improve
· Increase joint mobility and range of motion
· Develops ability to organize and perform tasks in sequence
· Integration of the two hemispheres of the brain
· Sensory integration takes place
ABOUT SATHRA'S COURSES AND WHO QUALIFY TO ATTEND THIS COURSE:
SATRA is currently presenting Instructors I, II and III level courses. Level 1:
· It is open to riding schools and people who want to work more therapeutic
· Individual persons may be selected on merit, however the prospective student must show some riding ability.
DURATION OF COURSE:
It is a part-time course that is done over a year.
· The course starts with a three day week block at SATRA'S premises inculding classes practical sessions
· 3 Assignments must be submitted during the first 6 months
· After 6 months, exams take place over 2 days
· 3 Assignments must be submitted during the last 6 months
· Final examination will be at the end of the 12 months
· At least 25 hours practical should be done by the student during the 12 months
· The course is presented in Afrikaans and English
Plot 15 PO Box / Posbus 75117 Donkerhoek Lynnwood Ridge Pretoria 0040 Jackie Venter - 076 5445 113 Marlene Henning- 084 517 3990 E-mail: email@example.com E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax / Faks: 086 685 1194 Website: engelayoung.com
There are a few different occupational therapy courses available online. One of the main ones is TherapyECU online. It is important to look for an accredited online course. It would also be good to check your local community college to see about the online classes they offer, since community colleges are often more affordable.
There are schools in Texas which offer coursework in pre-occupational therapy at the undergraduate level. To become an occupational therapist, you will need to obtain at least a master's level degree. Six Texas colleges offer such programs. They are Texas Tech University, Texas Woman's University, and four University of Texas branches.
The National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH) offers courses for both starting out individuals and individuals that are already at a professional level. They offer courses in occupational health and safety, construction health and safety, fire safety, risk management, environmental management, health and well-being at work, and oil and gas operational safety.
There are several and can't really be listed here. I know of the Marinello beauty academy in Torrington and I've heard they offer courses in cosmetology, skin care, hair design, massage therapy etc. The list goes on! Be sure of what you're interested in and then start looking for schools that offer a course in that field.
Ithaca College in Ithaca New York offers both Physical Therapy and a similar field of Occupational Therapy as well as sports therapy, Check it out at http://www.ithaca.edu/hshp/depts/pt/ Answer I would like to add, that you can research all colleges that offer programs of interest to you by going to www.collegeboard.com/splash/ and use the sites College MatchMaker search engine. You can research all colleges and universities that offer programs of interest by Major, Name, and Geographical…