What percent of teams that win the coin toss win in overtime in the NFL?
Stats on Overtime Coin Tosses (1974-2003)
The NFL has had 325 overtime games since the rule was adopted in 1974. The results:
- Both teams have had possession 235 times (72.3%).
- The team that has won the toss has won 169 times (52.0%).
- The team that has lost the toss has won 141 times (43.4%).
- 223 games were decided by a field goal (68.6%).
- 86 games were decided by a TD (26.5%).
- One game was decided by a safety (0.3%).
- There have been 15 ties (4.6%).
*It seems fair but these numbers are somewhat misleading because in 1994 a rule changed moved the kickoff back 5 yards to the 30 yard line (those numbers were based on data from 1973-2003). Since then, it's been about 60%. Prior to the rule change, the coin toss had no predictive value for deciding who would eventually win the game. Since 1994, the coin flip winner has a clear advantage.