What ratio of muretic acid to water should be used to clean a hot tub?

Mureatic Acid IS CONCENTRATED Hydrochloric Acid. This strength of acid will burn/eat right through your clothes, AND your SKIN!!!!! In the diluting proces mentioned in the following actual answer to the question, it is very important to dilute the acic properly, or there could be an explosive reaction, throwing acid in all directions, including ON YOU. The first safety rules for diluting a concentrated acid is to wear PROPER protective clothing and protection. That means: 1. Acid proof full face shield [even better if safety glasses are worn beneath].2. Acid proof gloves, "rain suit", and high topped acid resistant boots.

When diluting concentrated acids, IF the acid is poured into the water, there will be an explosive reaction, blowing acid everywhere. The proper way to dilute concentrated acids is to put the water in an acid resistant container, and THEN add the concentrated acid in very small amounts to the water, while continuously stirring and mixing the acid in the water, BEFORE adding more acid. Also, this dilution process results in the GENERATION of TREMENDOUS amount of HEAT!!!!! Getting a splash of that hot liquid can cause thermal burns in addition to the chemical burns!!!!! Please, IF you insist on doing this yourself, read all instructions [several times until it is ALL committed to memory], and if possible, get assistance from someone who has done this before. Sorry about placing my input in front of the previous answer, but the personal safety issue is so critically important that it warrants. === === == If the hot tub is redwood then NO you cannot clean the redwood with acid.

If the "hot tub" is a spa - either fiberglass or plaster then yes. But you have to be very careful not to "burn" the finish. You have to start with the weakest solution of acid/water mix. Usually, a 4 to 1 mix , example: 4 gal of water to 1 gal of acid. If you have never done this before you could be in way over your head. Fumes from the reaction of the acid mix with the plaster are very strong. Inhaling these fumes can cause severe breathing problems or unconsciousness. Acid is toxic!! You will have more fumes settle in the spa or pool even on windy days and it is worse with an inversion layer -- fog, overcast or rainy weather. If not applied properly you could end up removing all or most of your plaster or reducing the smooth plaster finish to a very course sand paper finish which will be as sharp as glass fragments or razors. If the mild solution will not clean or remove stains then you have to mix it stronger. I personally would not trust anyone to an acid wash unless they had at least 5 years experience doing all types of acid washes.

By the way, in our area, I know of a pool tech who was doing an A/W by himself - slipped on the pool transition slope and slid into the pool bowl with 3' of this acid mix and was overcome by acid fumes and passed out. Fortunately, the customer came home and found him in the pool. He ended up with acid burns to his skin, lungs, throat and mouth. Don't know how he managed to keep it out of his eyes.

If you are not careful with the solution and drip or spill it on the deck then your deck will be etched forever and will collect dirt etc. Even the bucket you use or the brush used to spread the acid solution or the empty acid bottle can and will leave a mark the shape of whatever container it was in on your deck. Also the area being washed can sometimes get very slippery.

k