Taxes and Tax Preparation
Credit Reports
Plural Nouns

What should you do if you got a 1099C from a creditor even though you paid them off in full in August and they didn't write anything off?



User Avatar
Wiki User

Call first of course, but send them by certified mail, a copy of your payoff info and request they correct their records and acknowlege doing so by sending an Amended 1099C, (it may actually have a form number like 1099C-AMD). They aren't going to like doing so, because making amended filings for them is always a time consuming and expensive process, but they would have to. If they respond with any reasons they believe the 1099C you received is required, you can deal with that. If they don't respond or send the amended, the documentation you have should become part of your tax records and would appear to be sufficent to show your acting properly in not reporting the income.