Best Answer

Take the kids to a great family counselor with experience in dealing with kids of divorce. This problem is common and you are too close to the situation to handle it correctly. Kids generally need a compassionate counselor with whom they can "vent" about BOTH parents during and after the divorce.

Here are some personal accounts from users:

It may be in your best interest to intervene and talk to the children, telling them your side. I took the so-called higher moral ground and wouldn't talk about certain things their father had been talking to them about and it backfired. When things went to court, the kids had only heard their father's side and not mine, so they only knew what he had told them. When they talked to the parenting coordinator, they told her what their father wanted them to tell her, as they only knew that side. Now, I explain clearly my side. I try to be extremely careful to explain there are two sides and that what I am telling them is my side. I also try to be as honest, without exaggeration, as possible, but I will never allow my ex husband's voice to be the only one the children hear, because that is often not in the best interest of anyone.

Another personal account:

I can imagine that this is one of the most frustrating and infuriating situations one can encounter. My sister-in-law had the same problem. She opted to take the higher moral ground, so to speak. She talked with the kids and explained to them as best they were able to understand that Daddy was very upset right now, and says things he doesn't mean, just like they say and do things they don't mean when they are angry and hurt. Her ex is still a jerk, but her kids love and respect her more for not putting down their dad.

Another personal account:

My ex-husband does this very same thing! I grew up with a mother who put my dad down constantly and guess what? Today I am closer to my dad than my mom! Whatever you do, DON'T say anything negative about your ex in front of the children. They will love and respect you more for the rest of their lives if you simply tell them that dad is saying those things because he is hurt and he is angry, but IT ISN'T THEIR FAULT - really reiterate that! And keep the communication lines open with the kids - tell them that they can talk to you about anything and that you will not betray their confidence. If those communication lines are open you will be able to nip you ex's little comments in the bud! If you believe in God, pray for your ex-husband and have your children pray with you for him - that is the absolute best way to bond closer with your children and fill them with trust and security. Don't make a big deal out of it or it will get worse, and don't 'defend' yourself or say anything bad about your ex.


Ask them how they feel when their friends do that to other friends.Then ask them if they believe what their friends that do that tell them. Remind them that people who are angry, jealous, or insecure sometimes say things that are not nice. This is a good time to remind them it is always better to trust what you see from knowing a person , than to believe what you hear.

Hopefully you have taught them how to respond........"I am sorry you feel that way, but I do not like it when you say bad things about people I know/love when they are not around."

Present answers that are general, not directed at your ex. Deal with your children and ex separately. Do not react to the ex by calling to discuss it ...this is just an immature attempt to start a fight by ex. No response = no battle. Attempts at alienating a spouse are generally not successful. In the long term, the child loses respect for the parent.


It's never too late. My best friend just got out of this same situation. Her ex was doing what is called "Parental Alienation Syndrome". It sounds like a psycho-babble term I know, but it really does happen and it's a lot more menacing and harmful than they make it sound. It's also usually something the custodial parent does, it rarely ever gets placed on the visitation parent and it's tough as nails to prove. It's usually born of abuse, but not the kind that's obvious and out in the open.

Parental Alienation Syndrome works in 2 ways:

One is fear/abuse based. The child(ren) identify with the abusive parent to prevent facing the impending abuse for not "agreeing" with the abusive parent. If this goes on long enough the children will begin to replace their own thoughts with those of the abusive parent, even to the point of creating false memories and false events that were placed there by the offending parent. Then the hatred for the victim parent becomes so intense that the children actually believe they are doing the right thing by hating them.

The second is far more insidious, this one is SO simple it will make a victim parent want to tear their own hair out! It's as simple as this:

The child understands clearly: "I know how to love the offending parent just hate the other parent."

The idea that the victim parent will love them unconditionally is not as easy. What makes it worse is that simple situations become arsonals for the offender. As an example: The child complains on a visitation weekend that they have to do chores. The offensive parent will tell the child that they should never have to do any chores, that the victim parent is abusing them, and the list goes on.

I would look up Parental Alienation Syndrome to see if it fits, and print up the things you find to help your friend out


I'm a fathers rights advocate since 1989.

I'm normally advising fathers about this, so if I miss any of the 'shes', I apologize. Write him a letter stating that this type of behavior is unacceptable and is an attempt to alienate the children, with the possibility of them developing Parental Alienation Syndrome. This can be grounds for modifying the current custody arrangement. This is not in the best interest of the children and could be considered psychological abuse.

Make three copies. I would suggest adding to these the following documents.





(see link below for copies)

Send the primary signed letter Registered Mail and a copy with Delivery Confirmation (75¢ plus regular postage). If he rejects the one, he will still receive the other. You can get confirmation of the delivery through the USPS web site.

If he rejects the Registered Mail Letter, attach it to one of the copies. If he accepts, attach the Delivery Confirmation card you will receive in the mail. Whichever you end up with, take it to the County Courthouse. Have the Clerk of Court certify it and place in the divorce case file. In this manner, should this become an issue for the court, the judge will see this in the case file while preparing to hear the case. The fourth one is to keep in your own files.

If he persists in the behavior, repeat this process two more times, then file a motion with the court restraining her from further attempting to alienate the children. If he still persists, you file a Contempt of Court Motion. email through the group owner address at Dads House and I will send the documents to you.

I know from experience that feeling and I found out that they now consider that a form of child abuse. either parent CANNOT TALK BAD ABOUT THE OTHER PARENT TO THE CHILDREN OR CHILD. Check your local laws and see what actions can be taken.


Simply let the child know the truth, with proof.


I also very much believe that you shouldn't disparage the other parent, and that you should love your children more than you hate your ex. However, don't go too far with that. Here's what happened in my case: My father was horrible. Not in an "abusive" way, but in a "negligent/abandoning/never even put me ON his priority list" kind of way. I would sit with my suitcase on the front porch on a Friday and he just wouldn't bother to show. My mom was determined to never say anything bad about him... to let me find out for myself. Here's how that can go wrong. In her zest to not disparage him, my feelings were never validated. I thought he was bad, but since my mom didn't "agree," I grew up not only not trusting my own judgment, I also allowed people to treat me like a doormat. I couldn't very well be taught to stick up for myself, have boundaries, etc., if I didn't even have clear understanding that I HAD been treated badly. My resulting over-compliant nature made me the perfect target for a child-molesting future step-father...

Moral of the story: YOU don't have to bring things up, but if your CHILD does--sweeping it under the rug of "protecting them" might leave them vulnerable to thinking, "If nothing is wrong with (insert name here), then something must be wrong with me. Maybe I am not worthy of better."

User Avatar

Wiki User

โˆ™ 2017-08-28 17:48:19
This answer is:
User Avatar

Add your answer:

Earn +5 pts
Q: What should you do when your ex-husband has been saying things to your children to make them feel sorry for him and angry with you blaming you for the divorce?
Write your answer...

Related Questions

What if someone keep saying you dont love them but your married to them?


Should a man get married after a break up from his ex?

It depends if his already been divorce from his ex wife. But not before he have a written divorce papers saying he is finally divorce.

If your wife is overheard saying another man is her true love should you divorce her?

You should not divorce your wife based on the statements of others. Speak with your wife to determine if you should be getting a divorce.

Is Nicki manaj getting a divorce?

I think that they were going to put a movie out saying that Nicki and drake were going to get a divorce and i was a bout to cry my but off?

Can people still live together after divorce inTexas?

Why would they....but why not. There is no law saying that they can't.

What are the release dates for Children Saying Their Prayers - 1903?

Children Saying Their Prayers - 1903 was released on: USA: January 1903

What should you do when your husband tell you that you are nobody to him and reason he stays in this marriage because of the children?

I am not saying that you should divorce him but girl you need to do something about it. If you are in love with him and you don't want to leave him then fine but I believe that if a man says that to a women then he does not deserve her. You deserve better then him. If he is only in it for the children then you should talk about it with him.

What is idiomatic expression of in ones blood?

You are saying you were born or at least raised that way. If you are saying you have anger in your blood, you are either blaming genetics or at least your family legacy. Or it can refer to things that are born talents, or things that you've made second nature. An example would be saying that singing is in your blood.

Can you get divorced in Washington State if you are pregnant?

Yes. A bill was signed in April 2005 allowing a pregnant woman do divorce, saying that it was unlawful to deny her divorce because of her gender.

Why is Cesar Millan getting a divorce?

They never actually say. Ilusion wrote an article saying that she had found 'the real her' not long after. But they filed for divorce, siting irreconcilable difference.

What is the difference between Shia and Sunni laws of divorce in Mohammedan law?

The difference b/w shia nD sunni divorce is .. sunni husband can say the word "Talaaq (divorce)" to his wife and he can get divorce by just saying those 3 words but there should be a witness who heard him say it. On the other hand, Shia divorce is done by 2 Islamic leaders where they recite qura'an ayaat nD both the husband and wife should be available at that divorce The difference b/w shia nD sunni divorce is .. sunni husband can say the word "Talaaq (divorce)" to his wife and he can get divorce by just saying those 3 words but there should be a witness who heard him say it. On the other hand, Shia divorce is done by 2 Islamic leaders where they recite qura'an ayaat nD both the husband and wife should be available at that divorce The difference b/w shia nD sunni divorce is .. sunni husband can say the word "Talaaq (divorce)" to his wife and he can get divorce by just saying those 3 words but there should be a witness who heard him say it. On the other hand, Shia divorce is done by 2 Islamic leaders where they recite qura'an ayaat nD both the husband and wife should be available at that divorce The difference b/w shia nD sunni divorce is .. sunni husband can say the word "Talaaq (divorce)" to his wife and he can get divorce by just saying those 3 words but there should be a witness who heard him say it. On the other hand, Shia divorce is done by 2 Islamic leaders where they recite qura'an ayaat nD both the husband and wife should be available at that divorce

Can just saying talakh talakh talakh three times one get divorced?

No. You have to go through legal proceedings to get a divorce. The only way saying "talakh talakh talakh" three times might get you a divorce is if your spouse hears you and thinks you're crazy.

How many children can you have in Europe?

There are no rules in European countries saying how many children you can have.

How come Roman Catholic couples with children often get an annulment for a Fee and get remarried in the Catholic church and have more children but this is different from a divorce?

Roman Catholic AnswerIf you do not understand how a couple can have children without being validly married, you need to ask your question over in the sexuality category. Catholic couples can not get an annulment for a fee. Any money that they pay is for court costs and does not affect the outcome of the ruling. A divorce is a civil decree saying that a married couple is no longer married. An annulment is a canonical court looking at a marriage and saying that the requirements for a valid marriage were not met, and thus no valid marriage ever took place. An annulment is about what happened up to and including a wedding ceremony and rules on the validly of the sacrament. A divorce dissolves a civil marriage. They are two completely different things. Having children has nothing whatsoever to do with either.

Why did John Steinbeck and gwyndolyn divorce?

John Steinbeck married Gwendolyn Conger in 1943. In 1948, she asked him for a divorce saying she was unhappy in the marriage and longed to return to her singing career.

Can the divorce be returnable after saying You are divorced three times by the husband?

No, No way to go back after 3 times

Did John Cena get a divorce?

There are rumors saying John got a divorce to his wife Liz because she was cheating oh him. My answer: Yes, he filed for divorce just recently. As for the cheating rumor, that doesn't make any sense because the two had an open relationship.

What caused the divorce for Karen and Teddy Pendergrass?

Well they had a argument and ended up saying you are a idiot to each other.

What is the difference between you don't give and i won't give?

Saying, "You don't give" is blaming someone for not sharing and being selfish. When you say, "I won't give," you are deciding that you will not give something, and you have your own reason NOT to...

What is the best way to greet parents and children?

Saying "hello".

What were the children saying in The Haunting 1999?

"Elenor help us"

What should you do if your ex husbands wife is referring to the children you had with your ex husband as being your children and her step children?

There is nothing wrong with what she is saying because your children with your ex are her step children. It is doubtful she is saying this to be nasty to your children and you should realize that your children think of you and your ex husband as their parents and your ex husband's wife may not be well accepted by your children because children always hope their parents will get back together again.

Is it legal for your husband to be living with the woman he had an affair. We are not legally separated although I have filed for divorce?

No by law it is not possible or legal to stay with a mistress , before the divorce is mase final. You could file saying he is unfaithful as well as ondesertion grounds. These all strengthen your divorce case.

What religions do not believe in divorce?

The Catholic faith does not believe in divorce, although they do often allow for annulment of the marriage. But many Catholics don't want an annulment since it's basically saying the marriage never existed.

Is the saying familiarity breeds contempt in the bible?

The saying was coined by Mark Twain - originally "Familiarity breeds contempt - and children".