What states were made from the Louisiana purchase?
The Louisiana Purchase included land in the following areas:
- Nebraska, parts of Minnesota that where west of the Mississippi River
- most of North Dakota
- nearly all of South Dakota
- Northeastern New Mexico
- Montana east of the Continental Divide
- Wyoming east of the Continental Divide
- Colorado east of the Continental Divide
- Louisiana west of the Mississippi River, including the city of New Orleans
The biggest effect the Louisiana Purchase had on the United States was the change in the size of the country. The Louisiana Territory more than doubled the size of the country. In addition, the Louisiana Purchase forced Spain and France out of the land now defined as the United States, confining their North American territories to Mexico and Canada, respectively.