Taxes and Tax Preparation
Income Taxes
Tax Forms

What tax form do you use to claim allowable exemptions?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2009-12-10 00:57:32
2009-12-10 00:57:32

Form W-4 is Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate. It's an IRS form that your employer gives you to complete for the employer's records. Allowable exemptions are the number of personal, dependable, and other exemptions that you claim on Form W-4. Your employer refers to the number of exemptions and your filing status to calculate income tax withholding from your earnings.

For more information, go to Select Topic 753: Form W-4 Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate.

Also go to the Forms and Publications screen, Select Publication Number to view/print Publication 505: Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax and Publication 919: How Do I Adjust My Tax Withholding?

User Avatar

Related Questions

You are only supposed to claim the number of qualifying exemptions that you are qualified to claim.

Form W-4 is Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate. You enter the number of your exemptions on Form W-4. The Personal Allowances Worksheet guides you to take an accurate number of exemptions. If you (and/or your spouse) are working at more than one job, you might claim 0 allowances to make sure enough tax is withheld on your earnings. Also, if you have a large amount of nonwage income (interest, dividends, etc.), either claim 0 exemptions or arrange to make estimated tax payments using Form 1040-ES (Estimated Tax for Individuals). For more information, go online to print Publication 505 (Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax) at

Form W-4 is Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate. It's an IRS form that you fill out for your employer. Employers keep completed W-4 form with their employment tax records.Often the number of exemptions that you claim on Form W-4 won't be the same as on your tax return. The exemptions on Form W-4 are designed to help your employer deduct the correct withholding amounts from your earnings.Also, Form W-4 only offers two filing statuses (Single, Married Filing Jointly). But your federal tax return has five filing statuses: Single, Married Filing Jointly, Married Filing Separately, Head of Household, Qualifying Widow(er) with Dependent Child.In filling out your return, you choose your exemptions according to specified situations (a choice of five filing statuses, personal/dependent exemptions). So you don't match the number of exemptions on your tax return with the number on Form W-4.For more information, go to for Publication 501 (Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information).

Form W-2 is Wage and Tax Statement. It's an IRS form that employers are required to provide/send to their employees for the employees to use in filing their tax returns. You don't claim deductions with your W-2 form.Form W-4 is Employee's Withholding Allowance. It's an IRS form that your employer has you fill out when you're hired. Your employer calculates withholdings from your earnings based upon the filing status and number of exemptions that you claim on Form W-4. The more exemptions you claim, the less will be withheld from your earnings.A single person can claim one personal exemption plus an additional exemption if only having one job. If you (or your spouse) have more than one job, then you might want to claim less exemptions to make sure that enough is withheld from your earnings. You can claim exemptions for dependents, if any.If you have a significant amount of unearned income (interest, dividends, capital gains, etc.) or self-employment income, claim fewer exemptions. If you're expecting certain credits (earned income, child and dependent care, etc.), claim more exemptions.Also included with Form W-4 is a Personal Allowances Worksheet plus Deductions and Adjustments Worksheet and Two-Earners/Multiple Jobs Worksheet. These Worksheets all help you determine the number of allowable exemptions for Form W-4.You can finetune your withholding with the IRS withholding calculator onlne at Select Too Much or Too Little Tax Withheld in the Special Interest Section in the middle column.For more information, go online to Select Topic 753 (Form W-4 Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate).Also, for Publication 919 (How do I Adjust my Tax Withholding?), go to Select Publication Number. Type 919 in the Find bar.

The number of exemptions that you claim affects the amount of taxes that you will pay by lowering them. That is if the exemptions are claimed when you file your taxes. The more exemptions that you claim on your paycheck, the more you money you receive in your pay each week, rather than having more in your tax refund.

The fewer exemptions you claim on your W-4, the more income tax will be withheld from your pay. Therefore, 0 exemptions will cause more withholding the 1 exemption.

To claim donations for tax exemptions, one must first check whether the charity has received their 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status. Once the receipt is received from the charity, one can claim it towards tax deduction.

There are not limits are the number of dependent exemptions that are allowable on the return, however, there are very specific rules and tests to show whether or not a dependent exemption is allowed. See the Qualified Child (QC), and/or Qualified Relative (QR) Tests for further information. This information is not intended to be construed as tax advice. Consult with your advisor when taking dependent exemptions.

Form W-2 is Wage and Tax Statement. It's often confused with Form W-4 Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate. You can claim whatever exemptions (personal, dependent) that you're eligible for. If you're expecting tax credits (child/dependent care expenses, child tax, etc.) or earned income credit to lower or eliminate your tax or to give you a large refund, you can adjust your exemptions. You can claim 0 exemptions if you want more withheld, which usually means you'll receive a larger refund. Your employer calculates withholding based upon your W-4 form. For more information, go to to view/print Publication 919 (How Do I Adjust My Tax Withholding?).

The W-4 tax form is given to new employees upon hire from employers. Through it, the employer learns information vital to tax paying for said employee - marital status, basic tax exemptions like if the person has gotten government aid in the past six months, and whether or not they can claim or be claimed as dependents.

False. The amount of income tax withheld depends on gross salary, filing status (single or married), and the number of withholding allowances claimed on Form W-4. Form W-4 is a form the employee fills out and gives to the employer. You claim withholding allowances on Form W-4, not exemptions. Many people mistakenly believe that you claim exemptions on Form W-4 which is why most people have far too much withheld. Exemptions are just one factor in determining how many withholding allowances you are allowed to claim. See the worksheet that is in the W-4 instructions or use the IRS calculator here:,,id=96196,00.html The amount of Social Security and Medicare tax withheld depends only on gross salary. Also remember that the amount withheld is not the actual amount of tax you owe. The actual amount you owe is calculated when you fill out Form 1040 at the end of the year. When you file Form 1040, you get a refund if too much was withheld or you have to pay extra if not enough was withheld.

In the US, when another taxpayer is entitled to claim you as a dependent on their income tax return, you cannot take an exemption for yourself even if the other taxpayer does not actually claim you as a dependent.Then Exemptions for DependentsDependent not allowed a personal exemption. If you can claim an exemption for your dependent, the dependent cannot claim his or her own personal exemption on his or her own tax return. This is true even if you do not claim the dependent's exemption on your return or if the exemption will be reduced under the phaseout rule described under Phaseout of Exemptions, later.Go to the IRS gov web site and use the search box for Publication 17 (2009), Your Federal Income Tax for Individuals go to chapter 3 ExemptionsYou can click on the below related link

There are a few places you can get this information. You can inquire directly with the IRS. You can check with your yearly tax preparer. And you can visit website. They have a tax calculator on the site.

Congress didnt extend the current exemptions on inheritance tax. The exemptions are only temporary though and tax is likely to be reinstated fully within a year. More than likely Congress will extend the exemptions on the inheritance tax. When they are close to expiring they will be brough up for a vote.

You can claim single with no exemptions, on your W-4 form in order to have more tax taken out during the year. You even have the option of having additional amounts taken out on top of this is desired. It really doesn't matter what your exemption are as long as you don't claim more than you actually have. The tax return is what really matters as far as paying taxes due.

You can find information the exemptions at www.window.state.tx

Yes but to itemize you will have use the schedule A of the 1040 income tax return and that does NOT have any affect on your exemptions that are entered on the 1040 federal income tax return page 1.

Calculating allowable tax deductions for a small business can be tricky, especially for someone with little or no accounting experience. The best course of action is to contact a CPA, as he or she will be well versed in the tax code and allowable deductions.

Exemptions are listed on the 1040 series. On Form 1040 and Form 1040A, the Exemptions Section is the third section on the first page and covers lines 6a through 6d. On Form 1040EZ exemptions are in the Income Section. You don't identify your exemptions by name. Instead, because you can only file Single or Married Filing Jointly on Form 1040EZ, you enter on line 5 either $9,350 for Single or $18,700 for Married Filing Jointly or a reduced amount according to the 1040EZ worksheet if your parents are claiming you as a dependent.

When you click on the link that has been provided for you below this answer you will go straight to a page which has all the information you are looking for regarding tax exemptions

The amount of tax you pay depends on how many exemptions you will claim and what you will file as. As little as three thousand dollars may be taken out of this check. 1100 dollars a month would be the average figure after tax.

The percentage of taxes taken out of a paycheck depends on the number of exemptions you are allowed to claim. The average amount taken out is 15% or more for deductions including social security and income tax.

You have to know what kind of income it is; any exemptions to be claimed; any credits available; age of the taxpayer; does anyone else claim the person who earned the income; are you talking about federal income tax?

Married filing jointly one exemption for each taxpayer that is listed on the 1040 federal tax return would mean a total of 2 exemptions. 1 plus 1 equal 2.

The form that needs to be filled out in order to claim a car donation tax deduction is called a 1098-c form. You may also utilize kars4kids dot org - they do it for you.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.