Business & Finance

What type of business license is required for a personal concierge business?


User Avatar
Wiki User

First of all--WOW! What a great idea for a business.

For those of you reading this answer a Concierge is a French caretaker of apartments or a hotel. He lives on the premises and oversees people entering and leaving and handles mail and acts as janitor or porter. He is also known as a doorkeeper.

From what I understand, this is a popular business. A lot of young people are getting into it as well as a lot of retirees.

But to answer your question, if you are independent as a concierge (freelancing), yes, you will need a business license.

But what if you decide to start an agency providing this service to various locations? The answer is that you will need a business license for the company itself, federal tax id number and state tax id number because there are employees involved. You may even want to consider forming or corporation or even go as far as forming an LLC. There's all sorts of ways you can register your business, however.

The problem you may run into is the time it takes register, not to mention the hassle of red tape and bureaucratic do nothings who really don't care about your filing needs.