Heating AC and Engine Cooling
Air Conditioning and Coolant
Chevy Silverado
Chevy Tahoe

What type of freon is used in a 1994 Ford Thunderbird?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
Answered 2006-08-08 22:00:09

first look for a label or sticker on the cross member above the radiator or on the compressor that indicates the amount of charge and refrigerant type (r-12 or r-134a). it's quite possible that the car was manufactured using r-12 and was retrofitted for r-134a since r-12 is no longer available. in any event, look at the schrader valve in the line near the compressor. it looks something like a tire valve and may have a cap on it and will be on the larger of the two lines going to the compressor. if it is the same size as a tire valve it is r-12, if it is larger it is r-134a. in any event if you need to add freon you will have to convert to r-134a since r-12 is no longer available. you can do this yourself with conversion kits available at any auto parts store. be sure to follow the directions. you don,t necessarily have to pump down the system doing it yourself but be sure to change the accumulator and oriface tube. most of the old oil is in the accumulator and this gets rid of it. the new oil for r-134a is different and will not mix with the old oil. make sure the retrofit kit comes with oil. if you can't get to the oriface tube leave the old one in at somewhat reduced efficiency. the whole job should be well under $100. alternately you can have it done by a mechanic but he will have to find out where the old freon went and look for a leak. hope this helps.


Your Answer

Related Questions

For a 1994 Ford Thunderbird : ( DOT 3 brake fluid , meeting Ford specification ESA-M6C25-A )

The 1994 Ford Escort LX uses R-134a Freon. This type of refrigerant was used in all Ford Escorts from 1994 through 2002.

1994 Ford Explorers came with 1lb 8oz (24oz) of R134A freon.

1994 Chevy lumina freon type

freon for 1999 ford explorer =========================== r134a ( Helpfull )

R-12 freon and 500 viscosity oil.........

1995 Ford Escort La uses 134a Freon.

The Freon is added through the low side ac port. Using the proper type of Freon and a gauge, fill the system to the recommended pressure.

Freon is the brand of a type of refrigerant. A 1994 Toyota 4Runner uses R-134a type refrigerant which is the modern fluid used in air-condition systems.

On a 1996 Ford Explorer : ( r134a )

A 1994 Buick Regal Custom uses 134a refrigerant, not freon.

The refrigerant you need is R-12 (the older very expensive) type. Most domestic cars through 1994-1995 use this type.

The amount and type of refrigerant it uses should be on a tag under the hood.

Freon is not used in automobiles any more. Refrigerant is used.

Mercron transmission fluid is used in a 1978 Ford Thunderbird. Type F fluid can also be used but should not be mixed.

R134 was standard that year.

One type of freon that you can use on a 1990 Ford Econoline is Four Seasons R12 Refrigerant Oil. The canisters cost close to $10 each.

The 2002 ford Ranger uses type R134 Freon. The Freon is added in the low pressure port of the ac system.

My 1991 Mustang 5.0 LX came from the factory with ( 5W-30 ) I ASSUME your Ford Thunderbird would be the same

In a 1997 Ford Aerostar : Refrigerant 134a is used

The 1994 Toyota uses are R-136 Freon. The air conditioning compressor Freon capacity is five pounds. The manufacturer recommends you never overfill the air conditioner compressor.

You do not say if it is a manual or automatic transmission. Automatic trans will take mercon V (all ford products that took mercon will now go to mercon V as mercon will no longer be made by ford)

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.