What type of powers were denied to the Congress according to the Constitution?
Read the constitution--basically the Congress, the Senate and House of Representatives, which has 535 members combined. These elected members are authorized, by the Constitution, to make laws, govern trade, levie taxes. But rereading the constitution spells their duties out specifically and specifically says what they can not do.
- Habeas Corpus- privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in cases of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it.
- Illegal Punishment- No bill of attainder or ex post facto law shall be passed.
- Direct Taxes- No tax or duty shall be laid on articles exported from any state.
- No Favorites- No preference shall be given by any regulation of commerce or revenue to the ports of one state over those of another: nor shall vessels bound to, or from, one stat.e be obligated to enter, clear or pay duties in another.
- Public Money- No money shall be drawn from the treasury, but in consequence of appropriations made by law; and a regulator statement and account of the receipts and expenditures of all public money shall be published from time to time.
- Titles of Nobility- No title of nobility shall be granted by the United States: and no person holding any office of profit or trust under them shall, without the consent of the congress, accept of any present, emolument, office, or title, of any kind whatever, from any king, prince or foreign state.