The New Jersey Colony was previously known as: The Settlement of New Jersey New Jersey was originally a part of New Netherland. As early as 1618, the Dutch erected a trading post at Bergen All now included in the State was granted, in 1664, by the Duke of York to the Lord John Berkely and Sir George Carteret. Carteret was once the governor of the island of Jersey in the English Channel, and gave name to the new province. In the year mentioned, the first English settlement was made at Elizabethtown, now known as Elizabeth. In 1674, the province was divided into East and West Jersey, a distinction which is preserved to some extent to the present day. Berkeley, who owned West Jersey, sold it to a number of Quakers, some of whom settled near Burlington. Carteret sold his part to William Penn and eleven other Quakers. The various changes of ownership caused much trouble with the land titles. In 1702, all the proprietors surrendered their rights to the crown and New Jersey became a royal colony. The same governor ruled New York and New Jersey, though those in the latter elected their own assembly. A complete separation from New York took place in 1738, and New Jersey remained a royal province until the Revolution. Its location averted all troubles with the Indians. Newark, the principal city, was settled in 1666 by emigrants from Connecticut. Burlington, founded in 1677, was one of the capitals and Perth Amboy the other. Source: A New History of the United States, The Greater Republic by Charles Morris, LL.D., W. E. Scull, 1899.