Home Electricity

What wire is the commonwire 120 volt?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2012-05-21 14:13:06
2012-05-21 14:13:06

The most common wire ran in 120v residential is NM (Non-metallic) sheathed wire such as the brand Romex. 14 gauge wire generally has a white sheathing and can be used on 15 amp circuits such as lighting. 12 gauge wire is thicker, generally having a yellow sheathing and can be used on 20 amp circuits such as those serving receptacles. Considering future demands, 12 gauge wire should be used. Under no circumstances should you ever use 14 gauge wire on a 20 amp circuit.

User Avatar

Related Questions

There is no standard size ground wire for 120 volts. Wire size is determined by the amperage.

No, not a good idea. You have to use a 347 volt ballast.

If by 240 volt box you mean a tap from a junction box then the answer is no. The 120 volt circuit would need its own breaker and wire, sized to correctly supply the 120 volt load.

You can't. The 120 volt GFCI is probably just a 2-wire (hot, neutral and ground) You would have to run a new 3-wire (2 hots, neutral and ground). The two hots are how you get the 240 volts (120+120=240). Also you must make sure the wire is gauged properly. #10 wire for 30 amps, #12 wire for 20 amps, etc.

No. A water heater requires a 240 volt connection and cannot be re-wired to run on 120 volts. There isn't enough amperage in 120 volts to power the heating rods that are inside.

Hire a qualified electrician to change your 240 volt receptacle to a 120 volt receptacle. Electricity is dangerous someone could get hurt or a fire started if you do not know what you are doing.

You can just connect the black wire to one side of the breaker. Then connect the white wire you disconnected from the 240 volt breaker to neutral. I would recommend you remove the 240 volt breaker and install a 120 volt 20 amp breaker in it's place. Make sure to change out the 240 volt plug at the wall to a 120 volt outlet.

Yes <<>> In North America, a three wire 120/240 volt system uses a neutral wire. For 240 volts two "hot" wires are used with no neutral.

Wire is wire - is doesn't matter what voltage you use. However, if you are changing the voltage on a device from 240 to 120, given the same power requirement, you may need bigger wires for the doubled current (and increased heat of resistivity).

In the US of A, it's supposed to be black.

12/2 in canada <<>> A #8 copper conductor will limit the voltage drop to 3% or less when supplying 20 amps for 120 feet on a 120 volt system.

You need 14-gauge wire for 15-amp circuits, and 12-gauge wire for 20-amp circuits. <<>> The question is confusing the ability of a wire to carry current, with the insulation factor of the wire. Any size wire can carry 120 volts. The insulation factor determines how much voltage can be applied to a wire. Standard wire voltages come in three voltages, 300, 600 and 1000 volt ratings. These ratings are up to and including, so 300 volt insulation wire will handle 120, 208, 240, and 277 volts. 600 volt insulation will handle all of the 300 volt range plus 347,415, 480 and 575 volts. 1000 volt insulation will handle all of the 300 and 600 volt ranges plus different voltages up to 1000 volts.

Where there is a red wire involved that usually indicates some type of special switching arrangement or more likely a 240 Volt circuit. In this case there will be 240 volts across the red and black and they will both be hot. Normally for 120 Volts the black is hot, the white is common and the bare wire is ground.

The code book states the colors for a 120/208 and 277/480 electrical systems are white and grey respectively.

Yes but it is not compliant with the NEC you can use a 240 volt circuit, (Ground, Hot, Hot) you would use a (either) hot wire with a ground wire and that will be a 120 volt circuit. I strongly advise you not to do this though because a ground wire is not trully meant to carry current and it will not be approved by any inspector.

No, you must break it down to a 120 volt supply.

Can you use a 120 volt bulb in a 130 volt socket?

In North America the standard voltage ratings for conductors are 300 volts, 600 volts and 1000 volts. As you can see the 120 and 240 volts drop into the class of 300 volt wire. This is a great asset to electricians that wire homes, not having to worry about changing insulation ratings when wiring circuits for 120 volts and 240 volts. Most industrial and commercial wiring is done with 600 volt rated wire.

240 watts to 120 volts? Or 240v to 120v? What kind of meter? As in an electrical test meter?

Grounded conductor is white 120/240 volt & gray 480 volt. Grounding conductor is green or green with yellow.

A four wire plug suggests to me that it is for split voltages. 120/240, hot - neutral - hot - ground will be the four blade connections for shore power in the US. With UK shore power three wire there will be no neutral as you know it. 120 volt equipment will not work. If there is a special berth for 120/240 shore power that is what you will need to tie up to.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.