Police and Law Enforcement

When a repossession notice has been issued for a motor vehicle can the registration be renewed and if the car is pulled over by the police will the police hold the car?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2006-01-03 19:23:15
2006-01-03 19:23:15

A "repossession notice" is a civil matter. A police oficer cannot hold the vehicle for repossession. Unless, there has been a court proceeding and the judge has ordered the vehicle held if stopped. A repossession notice also cannot stop the registration of a vehicle.

User Avatar

Related Questions

From Alaska state law: Sec. 28.10.171. Display of registration plates. (a) When two registration plates are issued for a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which issued, one in front and the other in the rear. When one registration plate is issued, it shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle for which issued. Only motorcycles and trailers have plates issued singly; all other vehicles for transport on public roads are issued in pairs.

Well, technically, whoever was in actual physical possession of the vehicle at the time the ticket was issued. However, as the registrant of the vehicle, it's going to be assumed to be on you, and you'll have the burden of proof to show that you weren't in possession of the vehicle at the time the ticket was issued.

No, but they can be cited for contempt of court if a replevin or other court order is issued for the recovery of the vehicle.

If you plan on registering the vehicle in OR, then no. You will be issued a "trip permit," which acts as temporary registration until you return to OR.

Georgia TITLE STATE: Yes SECURITY INTERESTS: Shown on title held by lien holder. LICENSE REGISTRATION: Georgia Motor Vehicle Division, 270 Washington Street, Atlanta, Georgia 30334. Tel: (404)362-6500. RECOVERY REQUIREMENT: As per UCC, repossession allowed without committing a breach of the peace. PLATES: Remain with the vehicle. If the DMV cant answer your questions, clik the link below and search on repossession Plates no longer remain with the vehicle in Georgia, they are issued to the person now, and are transferrable.

You need to take your Vehicle Ownership Certificate (pink slip) to your State Motor Vehicle department. If you are the sole owner, then you can get a new registration issued in your name only. You'll of course have to pay the Registration fee since it's a new one. Make sure you have your license with you - it can get embarassing if you show up without it...

You will be issued a Traffic Citation with a Summons for a court date, and the officer has the option to impound the vehicle.

To title and register a vehicle in CA you will need to have the title from the previous state where it was register but if the car is financed you can get registration only using the registration card from where the vehicle was last registered. The vehicle will have to be smogged and verified by DMV, local law enforcement or a licensed vehicle verifier. Once the vehicle has been smogged and the vehicle verification has been completed you can take the title or the last issued registration card along with the smog and verification to DMV and fill out a REG 343 (application for title and registration) pay the fees due and walk away with plates and registration! To make it simple I listed the needed items below. 1. Title or registration card from the previous state where operated 2. Verification of Vehicle ( must be done by DMV, law enforcement, or lic'd Vehicle Verifier) 3. Passing smog certificate 4. REG 343 ( DMV application for title and registration

Pennsylvania traffic violation 4703 is: Operation of vehicle without official certificate of inspection.Subsection (a) reads as so:General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this section, no motorvehicle required to bear current registration plates issued by thisCommonwealth and no farm vehicle with a gross weight or gross vehicle weightrating of greater than 17,000 pounds for which a Type D biennial certificateof exemption has been issued shall be driven and no trailer required to bearcurrent registration plates issued by this Commonwealth shall be moved on ahighway and no mass transit vehicle shall be operated unless the vehicledisplays a currently valid certificate of inspection issued under thischapter.

This law requires that you drive with proof of vehicle regristration.4454. (a) Every owner, upon receipt of a registration card, shallmaintain the same or a facsimile copy thereof with the vehicle forwhich issued.(b) This section does not apply when a registration card isnecessarily removed from the vehicle for the purpose of applicationfor renewal or transfer of registration, or when the vehicle is leftunattended.(c) Any violation of this section shall be cited in accordancewith the provisions of Section 40610.

I would say no. You cannot insure a vehicle that you do not own. I know in my state the registration is issued in the name of the person who owns the vehicle. I don't know of any instance where it would be different.

Depends upon the company/agent who has the contract for repossessing the vehicle. They only get paid if they recover the vehicle so in most cases they "look pretty hard." Please note, that the majority of U.S. states do not require a replevin order for vehicle repossession matters. However, if such an order has been issued, the person who is named can be held on a contempt of court charge if he or she tries to interfere with the repossession. Please check your state statutes concerning the type of action repossession agents can employ for recovery of the property.

168.09 REGISTRATION; REREGISTRATION.Subd. 4.Display.A vehicle registered under the monthly series system of registration shall display the plates and insignia issued within ten days of the first day of the month which commences the registration period.

The Repossion Was Issued. This In Its Self Is Legal, Reguardless, Of How The Vehicle Was Recovered. Next The Feds Will Have To Handle The Other Violation.

A Blue Slip is a safety inspection report issued by the RTA to prove that a vehicle has passed the required roadworthy, design and identity standards for registration.

Contact the DMV in your new state and they can give you the proper proceedure. Some states require a vehicle inspection before a new registration is issued.

If your driving n the road your vehicle may be seized and you'll be issued with a fine and maybe points on your licence

it is registration certificate of any vehicle (two ,four Wheeler or HTV (heavy transport vehicle)) issued by the local governing body like state government by DTO (district transport officer).

Your driver's license is an instrument issued to you individually by your state government. Your bank has no bearing in its status. What your bank has is a lien to your vehicle which essentially means that upon your failure to pay, they have the right to repossess the vehicle and sell it to recover the money that they are owed. So while your registration won't be suspended, your bank may send a tow truck to repossess your vehicle.

CVC 4000A1 is a term for expired vehicle registration. If one is issued a citation due to violating the CVC 4000A1, proof of paid registration and/or payment of any fines incurred must be done by the date specified in the citation received. Failure to do so could result in further action by the Court.

Depending on the state you reside in the procedure in order to get a repossession stopped is difficult. One of the few ways to stop a repossession is if a "breach of the peace" were to take place such as your car being in a locked garage or a threat of force was issued.

Yes, there was a bill introduced but it did not pass the last legislative session.Front and rear plates are still required.The purpose for this edit was that many posts around the web referenced an incorrect section and it is not clear that HB 1666 was not passed the correct section is 502.404 an excerpt is included but please follow the link for the full text...TITLE 7. VEHICLES AND TRAFFICSUBTITLE A. CERTIFICATES OF TITLE AND REGISTRATION OF VEHICLESCHAPTER 502. REGISTRATION OF VEHICLESSUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONSSec. 502.404. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE ORREGISTRATION INSIGNIA.(a) A person commits an offense if theperson operates on a public highway during a registration period apassenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display twolicense plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle, that havebeen:(1) assigned by the department for the period; or(2) validated by a registration insignia issued by thedepartment that establishes that the vehicle is registered for theperiod.(b) A person commits an offense if the person operates on apublic highway during a registration period a passenger car orcommercial motor vehicle, other than a vehicle assigned licenseplates for the registration period, that does not properly displaythe registration insignia issued by the department that establishesthat the license plates have been validated for the period.

Drive-Away License Plate: Issued to persons delivering unladen motor vehicles under their own power from points of assembly or distribution. Issued to banks or lending institutions for the purpose of taking, repossessing, or transporting vehicles for the purpose of preservation, sale, or otherwise in connection with such repossession. Issued to business engaged in the mounting, installing, servicing or repairing of equipment on a vehicle. This is limited to the pickup and delivery of a vehicle only.

If he is on the registration as a lien holder, you will need to have him sign off on the back of the title. If he is on jointly with you, he needs to sign off any interest in the vehicle on the back, and in front of a clerk at the motor vehicle department. A new registration will be issued showing your name only. If the car isn't owned by you, and say a lending company holds the title of ownership, then you need to work it out with the lender, too.

It is NOT legal to enter a garage in any state to repo a car, unless the repossession agent has a replevin order issued by the court that holds jurisdiction. Call a local attorney.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.