When was the first floppy disk created?
Floppy disks were introduced in 1971 by IBM.
- 8-inch - IBM 23FD (read-only) - 1971 (79.7 KB)
- 8-inch - Memorex 650 - 1972 (175 KB)
- 8-inch - SSSD IBM 33FD / Shugart 901 -1973 (237.25 KB)
- 8-inch - DSSD IBM 43FD / Shugart 850 - 1976 (500.5 KB)
- 5¼-inch (35 track) Shugart SA 400 -1976 (89.6 KB)
- 8-inch DSDD IBM 53FD / Shugart 850 - 1977 (980 KB)
- 5¼-inch DD - 1978 (360 KB)
- 5¼-inch Apple Disk II (Pre-DOS 3.3) -1978 (113.75 KB)
- 5¼-inch Apple Disk II (DOS 3.3) -1980 (140 KB)
- 3½-inch HP single sided -1982 (280 KB)
- 3-inch -1982 (360 KB)
- 3½-inch (DD at release) - 1983 (720 KB)
- 5¼-inch QD - 1983 (720 KB)
- 5¼-inch HD - 1982 (1.2 MB)
- 3-inch DD - 1984 (720 KB)
- 3-inch Mitsumi Quick Disk - 1985 (256 KB)
- 2-inch - 1985 (720 KB)
- 2½-inch - 1986 - ?
- 5¼-inch Perpendicular - 1986 (10 MB)
- 3½-inch HD - 1987 (1.44 MB)
- 3½-inch ED - 1987 (2.88 MB)
- 3½-inch Floptical (LS) - (21 MB)
- 3½-inch LS-120 - 1996 (120 MB)
- 3½-inch LS-240 - 1997 (240 MB)
- 3½-inch HiFD - 1998 (200 MB)
To read a floppy disk, you insert a floppy disk into a floppy disk drive. Not all computers have floppy disk drives. Typically desktop computers or ones that stand on the floor have floppy disk drives. New machines today allow a USB thumb drive (USB flash memory storage device) to be used in place of a floppy drive. All modern computersy have USB connections. If you need to read a floppy disk and you computer…
First of all, I dont think anyone still has floppy disks,but to transfer the info you must transfer your data from the disk to your computer then transfer it to your other floppy disk. In older DOS there was a command to do this without having to store the file(s) onto a host computer: diskcopy a: a: This would copy everything on the floppy in the A: drive and prompt you to extract the disk…
1986 - Brain was written by Basit aswell as Amjad, these two brothers had a computerstore in Pakistan. The reason that they wrote the virus was that they got tired of people making illegal copies of the programs that were sold in the computer store. The virus Brain was the first bootsector virus and spread from floppy disk to floppy disk.
A long time ago...... The first disk the computer was programmed to access was the Floppy Drive a 5 1/4 or a 3 1/2 single platter floppy disk. This historically was the first boot since the operating system was needed. This was before Hard disks and way before CDROM or DVDROM. Since the first disk to be accessed was given the label A and was the floppy drive the Hard Disk was given the label…
The 3.5 floppy disk does have magnetism within them and for this reason, magnets destroying data on the floppy disk fueled the myth about magnets destroying your computer. If you buy a cheap magnet and put it near a floppy disk, the magnet will stick to it. After a few seconds, the information on that floppy disk will be destroyed and you will no longer be able to access the data.
Both hard disks and floppy disks contain a magnetic surface on which data (information) can be recorded, accessed, and erased. While the hard disk is a permanent Storage and unlike floppy disk. The is still used in every computer but with the invention of USB the floppy disk is not using to much. The space of floppy disk was 8 MP not more but USB space is to many as well as Hard disk. We…