Where did baseball first start?
The answer to who invented baseball wages a great debate. Was it Rounders? Abner Doubleday? Alexander Cartwright? Our contributors weigh in:
- Rounders--Baseball. Essentially baseball is Rounders renamed, go to UK or former British colonies throughout the commonwealth and Rounders is a major pastime for pre-teens... mainly girls though.
- Abner Doubleday invented baseball sometime in the late 1800s. I found out when I went to Cooperstown, New York where it is said the game was invented and where the Baseball Hall of Fame is. There is also a field there in honor of Abner Doubleday.
- Baseball comes directly from Rounders that the British invented for small children, pitch, bat and run around 4 bases (yes four).. its still very popular today among the kids up to 10 years old.. while girls have leagues.
- Actually, the claim that Abner Doubleday invented baseball is a myth. The game developed from a British game called "rounders." which inactive small children were encouraged to take up. A variation of rounders in America, called "town ball," was played until 1845, when Alexander Cartwright of Hoboken, N.J., started creating a variation of town ball with different rules. This is what came to be known as baseball. Cartwright formed the first baseball team, the New York Knickerbockers, who had to play their first game against a cricket team. There were Boston and New York variations of baseball for a time, but the New York version won out.
- I believe that indeed Alexander cartwright invented baseball.
- I was on the BBC sport site and someone from Canada claims that baseball was invented there or by a Canadian. They often take credit for inventing Basketball because James Naismith was a Candian. But has anybody heard of this claim before?
- I don't know the name of the guys in England who invented Rounders.. but whoever they are that's the answer. Any names after the English are only those who copied or renamed..the game is the same as Rounders.
- The real person who invented baseball goes by the name of Alexander Cartwright. he invented the game and wrote a set of rules for it in 1845.
- Did you know that the origins of baseball actually came from Egypt when pharohs and people played games consisting of balls and bats? Bet you didn't know that. ok well so everybody is clear baseballs origins came from Egypt which then went 2 England which was finally brought to America, and we finally made rules for the game decided to call it baseball.
- Right well swinging a stick at a ball is ancient.. but first formalised rules is Rounders from UK which uses bases, pitcher, batter..etc. The answer is Rounders.
- Baseball was infact derived from Egypt which was called stick ball.
- Baseball was invented in 1845 by Alexander cartwright. he and his friends started a baseball team called the knickerbockers. finally in 1846 they played a team called the New York nines who won the game 23 to 1.Ouch! the game was played in New Jersey on June 19 1846.althought the Egypt people my have played somthing like baseball, it was cartwright that made the actuall baseball rules and the game.
- Yes, Alexander cartwright invented it in 1845!
- The difference between Boston style baseball and NYC style is NYC is what we use today. Boston style baseball had the had the plate and batters box half way between 1st and 4th (what we would call home). The main difference is if you hit the ball you only had to run 45 feet to first i think.
- A special Commission of 1907 concluded that baseball had been "invented" by the Civil War hero Abner Doubleday (1819-1893), in Cooperstown, New York, in 1839. But it was actually Alexander Joy Cartwright (1820-1892) of New York who established the modern baseball field (1845). In Cartwright's rules of play, however, plugging was allowed; a ball fielded on one bounce was an out; pitching was underhand; and the game was won by the first team to score 21 "aces" (runs), in however many innings
- I am pretty sure baseball was started by the Indians back in the day.
- Yeah comes from British game Rounders ive read...a teacher from Syracuse lived in London and coached a girls Rounders team, its just like Baseball. Also my cousins played it in England.. usually stop in 5th grade.
- Abner Doubleday invented baseball
- Nobody knows but for sure it was not Doubleday. It evolved. It was not created in a grand gesture. It was the evolution from several English games including rounders. Many communities throughout American adapted their own version of the game. What we know today came from the New York version.
- Doublday did invent it. There is proof in Cooperstown, New York.
- Rounders predates baseball... and i know the Brits invented it..they are pretty much the same thing.
- I wish there was a time machine so we could go ask him. i have to do a research paper too. American amusements 1865-1900, how did the amusmant grow so much during this time period in the US. that's my paper.