Where do you start if you need to have your name added to your mom's house?

The best option is to have a new deed drafted by a qualified real estate attorney or a title company. It is possible to do this yourself by using the various legal forms available at websites or office supply businesses. That however can be a risky venture, as the wording of the deed needs to be very specific and compatible with state laws to prevent any problems in the future. The attorney or title company agent will help you decide how the house should be owned to maximize it's security. The usual choice for people who are related is Joint Tenancy With Rights Of Survivorship.