Where does 'top o the morning to you' come from?
This saying actually comes from New Zealand. They believe that they are at the top of the world not the bottom and hence say, "Top of the Morning." Over the years, it has been mistakenly assumed that this phrase originated in Ireland.
Following are more opinions from WikiAnswers contributors:
- It's just something people say, it's like good morning. top is the highest point, and can also mean best. like tiptop shape. so best of the morning...have a good morning
- No one in Ireland will use this phrase in common parlance.
- I'm Irish born and bred, and I can tell you that Irish people do not use this phrase. I once asked my Grandfather, (born in 1913) if he ever heard it used and his reply was that it was just something that Irish characters say in American movies.
- If it is an expression that originated here in the U.S., so be it. It's a kind salutation that does no harm and somewhere along the line got associated with Irish Americans.
- I was recently in Ireland and spoke with a number of Irish people who said they had never heard of this saying. I believe it came from a Hollywood movie and not from the Irish!
- "Top o the morning to you" is the first part of an Irish greeting. The correct response to this greeting is "and the balance of the day to yourself". The origin of this is, as previously stated, "top is the highest point" so "best of the morning to you", response "and the balance of the day to yourself" meaning "thank you for wishing me a good morning, I now wish you a good afternoon".
- While it is very likely that this expression is no longer in use in Ireland it is vain to think that because it is not now used it never was. The Oxford English dictionary lists the expression as an old one originating in Ireland not New Zealand as some have reported. The contraction of "of" to "o" is distinctly Irish and not from New Zealand so the use of this phrase in New Zealand is unlikely.
It is an old Irish saying for "Good Morning," but it usually means the Top of The Morning is dawn. (The actual saying was Top o' the mornin'- an Irish accent.) To which you should reply... and the balance of the day to you! Read More
The duration of Top o' the Morning - film - is 1.67 hours. Read More
Top o' the Morning - film - was created on 1949-08-31. Read More
Top o' the Morning - 1922 was released on: USA: 4 September 1922 Read More
When spoken with an Irish accent, it generally sounds like Top o' ta Mornin ta ya. But the prase itself is top of the morning to you. Read More
The common Irish greeting "Top o' the morning to you!" has the traditional response "And the rest of the day to ye'". Read More
you should never say "top of the morning" to an Irish person! It's never ever used except as a joke! Read More
Top o' the Morning - 1949 is rated/received certificates of: Finland:K-12 Sweden:Btl USA:Approved USA:Passed (National Board of Review) Read More
Nobody in Ireland would ever say "Top o' the morning", so there is no response to it. The phrase may have even come from England, not Ireland and it is an ancient phrase now. It has become associated with Ireland through Hollywood stereotypes which have no connections whatsoever to the reality of Ireland. Outside of movies, you would never hear it in popular use, especially in Ireland. Read More
The expression 'top of the morning' is just another way to say 'good morning'. Read More
Of the clock. Think about the quintessential 'Top o' the mornin' to you!' --> 'Top of the morning to you.' Read More
If They Come In The Morning was written by Angela Davis. Read More
The phrase top of the morning to you is an old fashion way of saying good morning. If someone says this, you would simply reply good morning. Read More
The duration of Come Early Morning is 1.62 hours. Read More
The Production Budget for Come Early Morning was $6,000,000. Read More
it comes on Way early i the morning like 4 or3 o clock Read More
Designer Sunglasses All our sunglasses are top quality, in stock, and come with a certificate of authenticity. Read More
Come Early Morning grossed $119,452 worldwide. Read More
You don't! - - no one in Ireland ever says "Top of the morning to you" and wouldn't know what to say if you said it to them Read More
Come the Morning - 1993 is rated/received certificates of: USA:G Read More
Come Early Morning grossed $119,452 in the domestic market. Read More
The traditional reply is "And the rest of the day to you!" Read More
toppa da mornin to ya! (top of the morning to you) Read More
It is another way to say "good morning," often associated with the Irish. When you wish someone the "Top of the Morning," you are wishing them the best part of the morning. To which they should reply, "and the balance of the day to you." This is wishing you a good rest of the day. Read More
Come Saturday Morning - The Sandpipers album - was created in 1970-08. Read More
No. It is a term found in some of Hollywood's stereotypical movies about Ireland, although no one in Ireland would ever say "Top of the morning to you". Read More
at 5:30 in the morning Read More
You are ready and prepared by not having bad breath which means brush your teeth! brush your hair! have clothes ready to put on in the morning! have backpack ready to go in the morning so you don't forget about anything! then, eat a well balanced breakfast and be in a tip top mood!! Read More
please ji dun do double shift morning must come home Read More
Most come out the top but some come out the bottom. Read More
and the rest of the day to you Read More
Some come to feeders in the morning others at night. They will also come when they are hungry. Read More
The British can sometimes say "Top of the morning!" but usually they just say "Good morning." Read More
no it is normal. morning sickness can come and go. some people dont even get it at all. no it is normal. morning sickness can come and go. some people dont even get it at all. Read More
They come out usually when it is early morning Read More