Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
Answered 2009-07-18 21:13:59

In 1927, Massachusetts became the first state to require the purchase of auto liability insurance. Since then 48 states and the District of Columbia have followed suit.


Your Answer

Related Questions

No, there is no legal requirement that you have liability insurance. However, Your clients may require it before they are willing to hire you. Carrying the appropriate license a nd adequate liability insurance for your industry is the first hallmarks of a qualified reputable business.

If you paid cash and bought it outright, without financing, you don't have to have ANY collision or comprehensive insurance on it if you don't wish. If the car was financed you will have to insure it against damage until such time as the loan is paid off. As far as liability insurance is concerned most (all?) states require proof of liability insurance before you can legally operate on the public roads.

Most dealerships will require insurance before you drive off the lot.

The contractor should be bonded and carry liability insurance and you need to require proof of this before they start. Homeowners insurance is not meant to guarantee work on homes.

Absolutely. Even if you pay cash for the vehicle you will need to prove that you have liability insurance in order to legally drive off the lot. If you are financing the vehicle you will have to show that you have liability and physical damage coverage before driving off the lot. The dealer will contact your insurance agent to verify that the coverage is in force and will add the vehicle to your policy with the coverage that they require and that you want.

Most, but not all insurance companies will require you have a drivers license to buy liability insurance for your vehicle. All of the 50 United States however require you have a license or permit of some type before you can drive your vehicle on public roads.

In today’s world of legal dispute, lawsuits against businesses are everywhere in Fort Myers, Florida. As a business owner you need to be prepared to protect the integrity of your company; if an accident or mistake turns into a claim. John Perry Insurance Agency understands that mistakes can happen. We are here to help you create a professional liability policy that keeps your day to day operations protected should your business be held legally liable. Get a quote! Contact a John Perry Insurance agent today to prevent mistakes and errors from becoming major losses for your business. Call 863-777-4966.

It is not a requirement but having a good professional liability insurance policy in place will give you more credibility in your industry. If you are an accountant in the employ of another then you should not have a need for a professional liability policy. If you work as a self employed or a contractor you should carry coverage. Many companies will require you show them your insurance before they will grant you contract work.

Your husband cannot legally obtain life insurance on you without your knowledge. And most companies require at least a cursory physical before agreeing to insure someone.

Yes, but most states require insurance before you can register or license the car.Expanded AnswerThe individual states, almost unanimously, require licensed drivers to carry a certain level of liability insurance. But I do not know of a state that requires proof of insurance as a condition of mere ownership of a motor vehicle.This issue has come to the public eye in recent months because of comparisons between state requirements for automobile liability insurance and proposed federal requirements for health insurance. It is claimed by advocates of federally-imposed health care insurance that the mandate is similar to that imposed by most states with regard to automobile liability insurance.

An insurance license and your LDTL filing is all that's needed to start an insurance agency in Texas. Bare in mind however that most insurers will require you have a Professional Liability in place before they will give you a contract.

You can purchase cheap liability insurance using companies such as Nationwide and Allstate. Be sure to read all terms and services before agreeing to a plan.

No. In the states that require auto insurance, proof of insurance must be provided when you register the car. Some state insurers report insurance electronically to the DMV. Most states require proof of insurance at the time you register your vehicle in the form of an insurance card or endorsement form from your insurer. However, states have different requirements both for proof of insurance and also for liability limits. Your insurance liability limits may not allow you to drive legally in every other state. As of June, 2010, New Hampshire and Virginia are the only states that don't have mandatory insurance laws. Virginia requires the uninsured motorist to pay a $500 fee at the time of registration and at every renewal date. If you get hit by a driver in those states you or your insurance company must pay for your damages and sue the uninsured driver.

Speak to a professional about the details of the event. An insurance agent can review the potential for both loss and liability and advise you accordingly. Not all insurance would be suitable for all events.

Three years of law school, which typically works out to about 90 class-hours. Then you have to pass the character and fitness review, pass the bar, and, in most states, have liability insurance before you can legally utter the phrase: I am a lawyer. Three years of law school, which typically works out to about 90 class-hours. Then you have to pass the character and fitness review, pass the bar, and, in most states, have liability insurance before you can legally utter the phrase: I am a lawyer.

no coverage at all. Call an insurance company before hand and set up a binder policy at least for the liability.

You can try asking them. Failing to get an answer you'd have to file a suit against the company for injury or loss before there would be any compelling reason to disclose to you whether they do or do not have liability insurance.

SIR stands for self insured retention. It is a deductible applied to some liability policies. The term deductible is used for insurance that covers property losses, such as the insurance that would replace your house if it burned down. Retention is a term that refers to liability insurance, insurance that pays on your behalf if your negligance caused someone else to suffer a loss. Certain liability policies,such as umbrella policies and professional liability policies require the insured to, under certain circumstances, pay for part of the loss. The self insured retention is paid by the insured before the insurance company pays for the remainder of the loss. On umbrella liability policies the self insured retention applies to losses that are not covered by underlying, primary liability policies. On professional liability policies, the self insured retention applies to all losses, and is a way for the insured to lower their premiums by retaining the risk of losses up to a certain amount.

if you upgrade from liability to full coverage how long till it takes affect

Legally, there is no way to wait to buy insurance for a new car. All new cars must have valid insurance policies before they are able to leave the lot.

1. "NO" You can not register a vehicle that does not belong to you. 2. Although you can get liability insurance to drive the vehicle, you can not legally get full coverge on the car unless it belongs to you. You must have an insurable interest in the property before you can insure it. 3. All 50 US states require that you register an acquired vehicle within 30 days.

You are required to have at least Liability Coverage for the vehicle before ytou drive it off the lot!

Yes, liability release waivers are a very common document in competitive sports from school age to professional levels. Some schools and leagues even require proof of health insurance before children are allowed to participate in conduction with liability release waivers.

Generally you just ask the contractor if he's insured, before hiring them.

There are too many factors to take into consideration before this question can be answered successfully. The first issue is the size of the company. Different sized companies will require different level insurance rates. Another issue is country. Insurance rates will be higher in some countries than in others, and some countries will not offer insurance at all.

Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.