For a freshwater tank, its safe to add fish after the the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels are safe for fish. Ammonia and nitrite should be at 0 ppm and nitrate levels should be very low, under 50 ppm. You should also make sure that other parameters are safe for the species of fish that will be living in the tank.
They are, that's why we do water changes on tanks and why filters use activated charcoal, also natural bacteria's in the tank help to break down ammonia levels. Most aquarium fish are very sensitive to ammonia levels and high levels of ammonia are among the leading causes of fish death. It can actually burn their skin when it gets to higher levels.
Fish waste includes ammonia (NH3), which breaks down into nitrites, then nitrates. Both in your store and at customers' homes, freshwater fish aquariums should be closely monitored for levels of these three waste products. Ammonia should test at zero in established tanks with sufficient nitrifying bacteria. However, ammonia can rise to very high concentrations in new tanks or when too many fish are added. Levels should be carefully monitored in new tanks and after adding fish, particularly in smaller tanks where waste can concentrate faster. Nitrite (NO2) and nitrate (NO3) should be monitored closely. Ammonia is broken down into nitrite, which is less toxic but still dangerous to fish at high levels. Nitrite is then broken down into nitrate by another type of bacteria, completing the nitrogen cycle. Nitrite generally is detected in only new tanks (during the initial phases of establishing nitrifying bacteria colonies) and when new fish are added. In established tanks, nitrite levels should test at zero as it breaks down into nitrate. Nitrate will accumulate in the aquarium over time but can be kept at safe levels by frequent partial water changes.
This may be due to poor water quality which includes high ammonia or nitrate levels. Do they look like they are gasping for air? this is because of ammonia. it can be fixed by going to the pet/aquarium shop and buying a product called Prime which should be used per the directions on the bottle, but in addition to this, you need to make sure you are doing regular weekly water changes of at least 50%. This is the only way to keep the toxins in the water at safe levels.
The only way to control deadly poisonous Ammonia and Nitrite is to have a properly cycled filter. The naturally occurring bacteria in the 'cycled' filter media, converts the ammonia firstly into nitrIte and then converts the nitrIte into relatively harmless nitrAte. Regular water changes prevent the nitrAte from building up to dangerous levels.
Just as we put out bi products when we breath so do fish. They also poo and wee in their environment. These products of life become deadly poisonous Ammonia as they break down. In order for things like fish and plants to be able to live, Nature developed specific bacteria to change the deadly poisonous Ammonia into relatively harmless Nitrate in water. Then the nitrate can be used up as food for water plants and algae. A "cycled" filter is simply a filter that has been running for long enough to develop the natural bacteria that converts Ammonia into Nitrate. The over abundance of Nitrate can be removed by simply doing a weekly water change.
Differnt types of fish tanks will need different levels on nitrate. However, most fish tanks benefit from as little nitrate as possible. Saltwater tanks should have almost no nitrates. Freshwater planted tanks conversely, should have about 10-20 ppm nitrate. For most normal, tropical freshwater aquariums, keeping nitrates below 20ppm is acceptable.
Leaving a dead goldfish in your tank will boost ammonia levels.. You dont want ammonia in your tank. It rapidly kills fish
Now I am no expert, I have just had one of my fish jump out and I did some investigating on here. It seems that high Ammonia levels can be to blame... or low oxygen levels. I suppose they are trying to escape it. I am going to check my levels right away. I have a very small pond and I never knew I had to check my ammonia levels.
A filter is necessary for all fish because all fish breath and poo. These bi-products of life make ammonia and ammonia is deadly poison to most living creatures. The filter uses aerobic bacteria to convert the Ammonia first to Nitrite and then to Nitrate which is not poisonous
They do not "show" balance of nature. What could be happening is, your planted aquarium could be a "balanced aquarium" or be in the process of becomming one. In a 'balanced aquarium' the living creatures (fish etc) produce waste products. These products decay and become poisonous (Ammonia). Without a natural balance of other organisms (Bacteria) the living creatures in the tank would all be poisoned by the ammonia. What happens in a balanced aquarium is. The Waste Products produce Decay which produces (deadly) Ammonia. Aerobic bacteria convert Ammonia into (deadly) NitrIte and then into (harmless) NitrAte. The plants can then use up the NitrAte and in the process of photosynthesis, produce Oxygen, some of which is used up by the fish etc. In todays aquaria most of this 'Ammonia to Nitrate' conversion is carried out in a filter that has been 'cycled'. Cycled simply means that the filters' media have suffucient aerobic bacteria to perform this Ammonia to Nitrate 'conversion'.
Ammonia is constantly being produced in your aquarium by your fish. Ammonia only becomes a problem when it builds up. Your aquarium filter has a 'biological' component. You must allow the bio filter to become mature, allowing bacteria to build up in the bio filter. This bacteria will then break down the ammonia and eventually turn it into relatively harmless nitrate.
The reason you aren't supposed to rinse filter media in tap water is because it will kill off all the good bacteria that reside there. The good bacteria is what turns the toxic ammonia your fish produce into nitrate, which is safe at low levels. Your water is probably murky due to a new bacteria bloom. Your tank is either having a mini cycle or cycling over again, so keep an eye on ammonia and do small water changes often to keep ammonia down. Your fish should be fine as long as you keep ammonia levels down (use a liquid test kit).
I wouldn't put any fish in a tank that small, but if you can keep it really clean and the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate down, a Betta is a pretty good choice
pH and hardness really depend on the type of fish that you want to introduce. I highly recommend researching the particular type of fish and their requirements for pH and hardness. Nitrate, nitrite and ammonia levels should be at or near zero for most kinds of fish, though once again it is recommended that you research the kind of fish that you're planning on introducing.
The most common fish deaths are a result of ammonia or nitrite poisoning, in which the biological filtration has not been well established. The nitrogen cycle turns fish wastes to ammonia (which is toxic), then nitrite (still toxic), and finally, nitrate (not toxic in low concentrations).
Sometimes fish die in aquariums when the ammonia level is too high. I recommend taking a sample of the water to a pet store to have it checked for anything wrong. I had fish dying and took mine to have it checked. When I got the levels water problems fixed my fish stopped dying. It could be from high ammonia levels, not enough oxygen, not the right temperature, or a disease or parasite
You put the fish back in the tank ASAP and then check the water for Ammonia and Nitrite and if there is any present do a major water change. Some fish will jump out if the water contains any Ammonia or Nitrite. Some species of fish are regular jumpers anyway, and all fish jump at times, so every tank needs to have a closely fitted lid/cover glass to prevent this happening. Every tank also needs a permanently running 'cycled' filter to biologically change Ammonia into Nitrate and make the water liveable for the fish. A 50% water change weekly is then used to reduce the Nitrate content.
All life (Including baby Bettas) in water create (make) Ammonia. Ammonia is deadly poison and will eventually kill whatever fish life is in the water. A filter uses naturally developed aerobic bacteria to convert this poisonous ammonia first into (still poisonous) Nitrite and then converts that into none poisonous Nitrate. A weekly water change reduces the amount of Nitrate. So the answer is "Yes your baby Bettas should have a cycled filter as should all other fish".
Yes, Mollies are tropical fish and require a filter and a heater. All life in water makes Ammonia as a bi-product. All aquaria and all fish kept in captivity need a filter to biologically convert (deadly poisonous) Ammonia into (fairly harmless) Nitrate.
It doesn't do so directly. The poop breaks down and creates ammonia and mulm. This ammonia is deadly poisonous but nature has contrived to fix it by converting it into Nitrite and then to Nitrate by using naturally occurring bacteria in the environment and the 'cycled' filter. The plants can then use up the nitrate and mulm as they photosynthesise and grow.
Fish smells like ammonia when it starts to spoil.
Overcrowding and poor (Uncycled?) filtration. If you have ammonia in your tank you had best start changing water ASAP before your fish start to die.
I believe you are actually referring to a fish called the Candiru or Toothpick fish. It lives in Amazon River and is attracted the ammonia in urine. There have been reports of these fish swimming into a human's urethra. So, don't urinate in while swimming in the Amazon River!
Garra Rufa Fish are a Turkey wild breed. One must have a great filtration system comprised of a water pump filter, a UV filtration an 03 system, a temperature regulator and an air pump. High ammonia and nitrate levels are a huge factor in killing these fish. The correct filtration system must be working to stop this from happening.