answersLogoWhite
Ask
Swimming Pools
Pool Building and Repair
Pool Care and Cleaning

Why does the plaster in a pool seem to burn or turn black after adding shock treatment?

646566
Answer

Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2004-08-04 16:39:30
2004-08-04 16:39:30

Usually this is the result of converting copper sulfate stains (turquoise) to cupric oxide (grey-black) by oxidation from the shock (calcium hypochlorite) sitting directly on the copper stains. Avoid this by shocking with liquid chlorine or pre-dissolving the granular shock so it doesn't sit right on the plaster. Often the grey-black stains can be reconstituted to turquoise sulfate by letting alum (aluminum sulfate) sit on the same spot. This has to be done relatively soon, though, before calcification covers the stains with a layer of carbonate that the alum can't soak through...

1
0

Related Questions

User Avatar

A person can go swimming in a pool a few minutes after adding algae treatment and shock to the water. This is provided that a low dose was used. The manufacturers of the algae treatment recommend that a person waits 45 minutes to an hour to swim after adding a normal dose.

User Avatar

An electric shock will stop the heart, treatment for this is CPR.

User Avatar

Many, many things are not part of the treatment for shock. The question needs rephrasing.

User Avatar

about 6 hour after shock or sooner if you use a shock and swim

User Avatar

Adding a great amount of salt in a single step is a salt shock.


Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.