Alternators have two parts, one is the armature that generates electricity and the other is a voltage regulator. In most cars the typical output for an alternator is 13.2 to 14.4 volts. If their is more or less than this being produced, the voltage regulator may be faulty or the bushes may be worn.
another issue that some alternators have is the failure of the bearings inside the alternator leading to noisy running or the bearings inside the freewheeling pulley fitted to more and more modern alternators. these can often be replaced independently.
It varies depending on how much other electronics you are using on the vehicle at the time. Could take hours. I do not recommend you charge any dead battery with the alternator if you can avoid it. it puts too much of a strain on the alternator and may damage it. Charge a dead battery with a battery charger.
15.0 volts is maximum for most systems some batteries will not stand even that much. have battery tested as a bad battery can fool an alternator into overcharging, check all connections and be sure that they are clean and tight.
Anything below 13 would not be holding enough charge but anything over 16 too much. So between 16 and 13. If you are at a smack dab 18 than it is over charging your battery. Hope this helps! I have a 93 Grand Prix
take it to a mechanic!!!! would cost too much to do it yourself, and if you messed it up.....
Yes, if the voltage level is too low to start the car.
Get your alternator tested at autozone,its free,and check your battery too.
Traffic law attorneys charge too much for their service.
maybe its your alternator, if its giving off a weak enough charge, when you put the brake lights on, it drains too much power to run your engine. to check the alternator, start car, and remove the positive cable from your battery with some accesories running. if your car sputters, or stalls, just replace the alternator. hope this helps.
The battery light comes on when the alternator output voltage is too low or too high. You have a wiring or regulator problem.The battery light comes on when the alternator output voltage is too low or too high. You have a wiring or regulator problem.
That depends on the application [use] of the alternator. For automotive applications, NO, 15 Volts DC is not too much. Generally, an acceptable voltage output range for automotive applications is 13 Volts minimum to 16 volts maximum.
it depends on where you go, or what kind. but try walmart- they have everything, and at low prices too!
A+ ..... too much change can be a difficult adjustment
You may need a new one. It might not be capable of charging as well as it used too.
It means that the voltage is going up as the alternator spins faster. 4 posibilities; 1 Your battery is dying and the alternator is working harder to charge it when you accelerate. The lights are comming up to full brightness. 2 You have a bad connection at the battery terminals or frame ground and the battery can't hold the voltage down. The lights are receiving too much voltage and are more likely to fail. 3 The voltage regulator on the alternator is failing and overcharging the battery. The lights are receiving too much voltage and are more likely to fail. 4 The battery needs water. The lights are receiving too much voltage and are more likely to fail.
If that's dollars it is.
Your alternator could be bad have it checked this could also be that the car is getting the wrong amount of volts from the battery, either too much or too less
Yes, once you have jump started the car (from another car's battery), driving the car will recharge the dead battery (provided the battery is OK). This is a terrible idea and may damage the alternator. Drive the car immediately home and charge the battery with a battery charger. Alternators are designed to keep a charged battery fully charged. They are not designed to charge a dead battery. This puts way too much strain on the alternator circuits.
too darn much - frankly for any procedure vets charge too darn much as any time they need to show up they charge and charge and charge. Most are better with the pen than they are treating a problem. Figure $250+ approx per visit - smae for teeth.
Check battery connection Check alternator Too much fuel should not be a problem
if you have a good alternator a vehicle will run without a battery, however I wouldn't recommend doing it. On most vehicles the alternator will charge at too high a rate with out a battery installed. This can and will damage any electronics.
they should charge just enough but not too much
Gravity is a purely attractive force. This is how neutron stars are born, the gravitational force becomes too much and when the star collapses it pushes the electrons against the protons thus creating neutrons. Your question however is situated in a more practical situation. Since F=ma the positive charge would have to be much much more massive than the negative charge so that its weight would push it towards the opposing charge.
TOO MUCH if they charge
It could be the alternator going bad or has already gone bad or the battery could have a bad cell in it keeping it from charging. The battery cable ends may not have good connection for it to charge correctly. The hot wire to the alternator probably needs to be changed because if that wire is bad it too would keep it from charging. Last the plug that plugs in the side of the alternator (round w/ green wire and green and yellow wire) it too would keep it from charging. If it is not none of which I said that you might want to consider in a short in your wiring harness if its a short it will take time to locate it.
There must be too much amperage going through the wire. Either it's the wrong gauge wire (unlikely), or there is a problem where the charging system is putting out too many volts/amps. Check it with a multimeter.