You own a car registered in Texas which your 20 year old drives in Washington DC How do you transfer the title into her name when she doesn't want to begin paying insurance but wants to keep the car?

How about tell the 20 year old adult to pay for her own car insurance? Or you can transfer the title to her, so she legally owns the car and she can apply for car insurance, which you will keep paying. You cannot legally own a car in Washington DC without having valid insurance. If Texas is her permanent residence and they don't require insurance(I assume this is why you are asking)then she can have the title transfered to her name in Texas. To prove permanent residence doesn't mean you have to live in an area most of the time. You just need to have your bills sent there. Think of congressmen who live the vast part of their time in DC, but have residency in their home state.