Auto Parts and Repairs
Transmissions and Drivetrains
Chevy Silverado
Ford Expedition XLT

You rocked from drive to reverse when stuck in Chevy 4x4 z71 now have no reverse and seems to be in gear in any shift mode seems like shifter is 2 holes off from normal but shift rods are normal?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2007-03-02 14:26:28
2007-03-02 14:26:28

sounds like selector in transmission is broken if you can move the shifter but the trans does not change you may have broken the shift cable.


Related Questions

how do i remove Chevy aveo 2006 shifter knob

Possible shifter or linkage problem? ie: not actually going into reverse. Ummmm, you didn't zoom the tires in reverse and blow the gear did you... Hope that helps.

Both. The Monte Carlo SS had a floor shifter (what I own), but the regular monte's had column shift

the shifter is all in one. you have to replace the whole shifter. the nob is attached

The 1997 Chevy Blazer shifter cable will have swivel nuts on each end of the cable. Connect the shifter cable and turn the swivel nuts to the right to install the shifter cable.

Professionally, it will cost around $2,000 to replace a broken shifter and clutch in a 96' Chevy Beretta. Just the replacement clutch and shifter will end up costing you around $800.00.

You connect your floor shifter to your transfer case in a 4x4 Chevy truck 1993 by getting under the truck and looking for the rod that comes from the shifter to the transfer case. Then, use the pin connector to connect the rod.

The 1996 Chevy Tahoe reverse wire is light blue. You can find the reverse wire inside of the steering column.

you just have to disconnect the shifter, take the old wires out then re wire the new ones in there

What size transmission do a 2500 with a 8 lug transmission no reverse won't work in the transmission

Been a while, but don't you Take the boot off inside to get to the shifter. It either has a locking ring that holds the shifter in or 4 bolts holding the shifter in. In either case, remove it and the shifter pulls out.

This problem is not a new one. By the way, if you're having the key stuck issue, or if the shifter moves without pushing anything, buy a new shifter assembly. Official TSB and Recall Thread - Page 14 - Chevy HHR Network (Use the link below.)

If the cable is broken you should replace it.

Green is the hot wire for my 2004 Chevy Colorado.

I have a 1992 Chevy berretta 3.1 V6 and when it is in park and reverse and neutral it sounds like there is a grinding noise right below the shifter I know that the linkage needs adjusting any ideas

Yes. You will also need to bring over the shifter, or purchase an aftermarket shifter for you application.

I have a 2004 blazer and my manual shifter is removed by turning the hex nut just below the actual shifter clockwise. This may sound counter-intuitive as that is the direction to tighten but this spins the nut away from the shifter so the shifter is free to spin (counter-clockwise). So.... 1. Push boot around shifter down toward floorboard to expose shaft/nut coming out of tranny/gearbox 2. Turn nut clockwise to get away from shifter ( i used a small crescent ) i used a combo of 1st gear and reverse to get the right angles to fit wrench in. 3. Turn by hand the shifter (counter-clockwise) to remove. Or use pipe wrench with cloth around shifter to start the motion if stuck. Use a thick cloth to not scratch paint. 4. Nut and shifter are both free now. 5. This is also how you adjust the height of your shifter if you wish. Hope this helps

The shifter knob on a 1995 Chevy Cavalier is thread on. To remove it just spin the knob counter clockwise until it comes off.

It would be best to unbolt and remove the front seat, then disconnect the cable at the transmission and at the columm, pull up the floor pad and pull the cable thru the opening in the floor. Reverse for installation.

see if your shifter is bad or transmitoin is bad or gear fluid

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.