You were born in bavaria and came to the US in 1954 How do you regain your citizenship and apply for a passport?

These questions are always answered best when you contact the embassy of the country whose citizenship you want to regain or obtain. So, just contact the nearest German embassy or consulate general and ask them to assist you with your situation.