Citizenship and Marriage
Age of Consent & Underage Relationships
Child Support
Law & Legal Issues
Marriage Licenses
State Laws
Common Law Marriage
Children and the Law
Same-Sex Marriage
Emancipation and Ages for Moving Out
Children and Divorce
Property Law

Divorce and Marriage Law

Marriage law refers to a set of rules that govern the forms and validity of marriage. Divorce is a remedy available for married couples who wanted to separate and legally dissolve their marriage bond, usually for the purpose of remarriage.

Asked in Tax Forms, Divorce and Marriage Law

If you don't owe any taxes do you have to file for an extension just to file the paperwork after the April deadline?

No, you don't need to file an extension if you don't owe the IRS any money. You only need to file an extension if you need more time to pay. The current law is you have three years to file for a refund and after that you forfeit it to the IRS. The IRS does not charge penalties to people that are owed refunds even if they are filing after due date (usually April 15). Just make sure you file within the...
Asked in Divorce and Marriage Law, Civil Lawsuits

Can you sue someone for breach of promise?

Mr. Kluss' answer is completely correct, but let me add this. There do exist verbal contracts in other contexts (as well as, of course, written ones). One of the main differences, is that they are harder to prove because the parties may testify to differing terms of them. But like a written contract, a verbal one can only exist if there is an offer, an acceptance that mirrors the offer, and consideration. Consideration is something of value that binds the parties. Consideration...
Asked in Mental Health, Divorce and Marriage Law, Criminal Law, Stalking

Can a spouse be accused of stalking?

Yes, they can depending on the circumstances. ********* If the person being harassed or followed is placed in fear that the stalker intends to injure the person, another person, or property of the person or of another person, then yes a spouse could be accused of stalking. The feeling of fear must be one that a reasonable person in the same situation would experience under all the circumstances. In some states there is also a requirement that the person accused of stalking knew...
Asked in Divorce and Marriage Law, Cheating, Marriage

Should you stay in a marriage with a jealous husband even though you've never cheated because you have young children?

Answer It sounds like you are only currently staying with your husband now because of your kids. If the situation is that unpleasant or if there is any verbal or physical abuse involved, get out of the marriage. Your children could be more damaged by witnessing the anger between you and your husband, rather than living with you in a one parent household. Children are far more aware of what is going on between than parents than the parents would like to believe. I...
Asked in Divorce and Marriage Law, Lawyers

How much will it cost to complete LLB?

Depends on the University and the year. This year your looking to spend about 3200-3600 for a good university. At a top one it could cost anything up to nine thousand a year. On top of this you will have to pay for your text books and unfortunately they are ridiculously priced some going as 200 pounds!. If your looking to then go further as a solicitor or a barrister that's another nine to ten thousand for the extra two years...
Asked in Divorce and Marriage Law

What does separate property state means?

Briefly it means that legally married people can own property in their own, sole capacity, even when acquired after marriage. Their spouse is not automatically given any interest in that property as they would be in a community property state. Briefly it means that legally married people can own property in their own, sole capacity, even when acquired after marriage. Their spouse is not automatically given any interest in that property as they would be in a community property state. Briefly it means...
Asked in Divorce and Marriage Law, Sociopathy (Psychopathy)

How do you expose a sociopath?

You don't but they inevitably will.
Asked in Divorce and Marriage Law, Math and Arithmetic

Fifteen is to five as nine is to What?

If the answer has to start with scr, spr, str, or thr, then its THREE.
Asked in Divorce and Marriage Law, Scotland

Can you marry your second cousin in Scotland?

Cousins are permitted to marry in Scotland
Asked in Divorce and Marriage Law

Your husband doesn't know if he wants to be with you. What should you do?

Opinion It is likely that someone else has caught his attention, he's infatuated, and he is doubting his relationship with you. You should ask him to move out until he decides whether he wants to work on your marriage or end it. He should not stay with you in marriage, with all the benefits of marriage, while he is making up his mind. ...
Asked in Divorce and Marriage Law

Denied default divorce?

I filed for a divorce in Sept of 2008 but filed for a default in April of 2009 would the courts deny the entry for default and the respondent was served in Nov of 2008 if I filed it in April of 2009 being that so much time as passed or would the divorce go through in the time allowed? of six months this is in california. ...
Asked in Custody, Divorce and Marriage Law, Children and Divorce

How does a divorce affect children?

Divorce has a variety of adverse effects on children. Generally, their reaction can be strongly influenced by the manner by which their parents handle the divorce. Everything has changed for them. Their lives are disrupted. Their lives have become unstable. They fear what will happen to them without both parents in the home to care for them. Some think the break up is their fault. There is no more "family" time with both parents present: trips, vacations, parties, school functions, sports, etc. There...
Asked in Divorce and Marriage Law, Legal Documents

How do you dismiss personal protection order?

You need to speak with someone at the court that issued the order.
Asked in Divorce and Marriage Law, Emancipation and Ages for Moving Out, Citizenship and Marriage, Immigration

What are the legal requirements to marry a US citizen for a foreign person in the US on a visa permit?

Marriage requirements are the same for all people. Immigration status has no bearing on your right to marry. As long as you are not currently married and are over 18 years old, you should be able to obtain a marriage license. If you are not in the United States and you want to come to marry an American, than you will need to apply for a fiancee visa. Note however, that if you want to apply for a green card through marriage...
Asked in Divorce and Marriage Law, The Difference Between

What is the difference between divorce and legal separation?

The definition of legal separation depends on your state. Generally, a legal separation is a court decree recognizing that a married couple is living apart and regulating the couple's mutual rights and liabilities. The most important factors are that the couple is still married, can still hold their real property as tenants by the entirety (if one dies the property automatically belongs to the survivor), may each have the right to make medical or funeral decisions for the other, and each will...
Asked in Divorce and Marriage Law

What is a smile certificate in a divorce case?

SMILE (Start Making It Livable for Everyone) is an educational program for parents who have a pending divorce. This is a court ordered program so both parents are aware of the effects of divorce on the minor children in the home. The "certificate" is issued when the parent(s) complete the training. ...
Asked in Divorce and Marriage Law, Extended Family

Can you marry your mother's sister's husband?

Where polygamy is illegal it is illegal to marry someone's husband. If this man is someone's husband, he is not permitted to marry anyone else. However, if your mother's sister (your aunt) is deceased you could marry her husband in most countries. He is not related to you by blood. ...
Asked in Divorce and Marriage Law, Same-Sex Marriage

What should you do if your civil partner wants to annul your civil partnership and you do not?

In Western cultures you cannot force a person to stay married to you or to stay in a civil partnership. Your only option is to convince your partner to attend counseling in order to determine the reasons for their desire to leave and determine if the relationship can be saved. Otherwise, your partner is free to go. The procedure depends on the laws of the state where you want to dissolve the union. If your jurisdiction recognizes civil unions or domestic partnerships then...
Asked in Divorce and Marriage Law, State Laws, Pennsylvania

Is there a way a man and woman can get a civil union or domestic partnership that gives them the same rights as a married couple in Pennsylvania?

No. Marriage is a civil legal status that has the benefit of unique rights granted by the government under the law. If you want the benefits of a legal marriage then you need to get married legally. As of 2014, Pennsylvania does not offer civil unions or domestic partnerships. In the United States heterosexual couples who want to enter into a civil union may only do so in a handful of states like Illinois, Hawaii, and Colorado. Pennsylvania is not one of them....
Asked in Divorce and Marriage Law, Estates

Can your ex wife get any of your trust fund money?

If you have a trust fund, you should be able to hire a lawyer, and I suggest you do. Even if the trust is not paying out at present, she may be able to collect on future payments. Especially if you have children in common. Answer/Clarification Any financial obligations you owe your ex-wife, such as child support or consideration for transfer of an interest in real estate, should be set forth in your separation agreement and court orders accompanying your divorce decree. Generally,...
Asked in Divorce and Marriage Law, How To

How to divorce a prison inmate?

It is possible to divorce someone who is in prison. The best approach in any individual case will depend on the laws of the state in which you live. Additionally, it would be beneficial to speak with a family lawyer in your state because of jurisdictional issues concerning where you can file for divorce. You will go through the divorce process in the same way you would if your spouse was not in prison (file the necessary paperwork, signatures, etc). ...