How has the game of basketball changed since it was invented?
Basketball has changed dramatically from when it was first invented by James Naismith in 1891.
Here are some of the ways it has changed:
- There are many more rules. It originally had 13.
- The baskets are not peach baskets like they were in the beginning. Now the basket includes a rim, a net, and a backboard.
- The ball is a basketball, and not a soccer ball.
- The number of players was changed. Originally there were 9 people on the court, 3 guards, 3 centers, and 3 forwards. Now there are five.
- Naismith had a janitor get the ball every time a basket was made.
- These days almost every American school has a girl's basketball team and a boy's basketball team. Many schools have different levels and grades.
- The three point line was invented.
- The "three second" rule was added.
- The shot-blocking rule was added.
- The players uniforms have changed from really short shorts to like, almost pants.
- The arc below the basket in the key is added for charges
- Many stats like technical fouls and flagrant fouls were recorded as official stats
- And originally you couldn't move with the ball or it would be traveling. Eventually people started dropping the ball to be able to move with it and dribbling was invented