Football - American

What is the difference between a flanker and a wide receiver?


Wiki User

Pretty much nothing. Many years ago football offenses would only have two wide receivers. One was called the split end and the other was called the flanker. Basically, the only difference was that the split end would line up on the line of scrimmage and the flanker would line up a yard behind the line of scrimmage. Other than that, there was no difference.